cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Is 08003289393 a genuine Openreach number

Go to solution

Hi there 

I'm new ,first post and just moved house with BT home move. There is an upcoming engineer appointment and I had a call last night and voicemail message confirming the appointment time and asking me to note the number 08003289393 as he would call back. It was difficult to understand due to a very strong  foreign accent.

I've searched on web and it looks like that this may or may not be a suspicious number or may well be a genuine number.

Please can someone help clarify and verify that it is Openreach vas the gentleman said he would phone back on the day of the appointment. 

I understand the actual Openreach number is 08000232023.

With thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Is 08003289393 a genuine Openreach number

Go to solution

It sounds like a scam.

It's possible that the openreach engineers will contact you but, in my experience at least, it will be from a mobile number on the day of the job just to let you know that they are coming and to make sure someone will be there when they arrive

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks I've looked the number up on similar sites, and definitely there are reports of it being a scam. However , there are also reviews saying it's s genuine BT Openreach number.
A voicemail message was left on my mobile, stating the time of the planned Openreach appointment and for me to accept a call from that number. But it was a 0800 number and a foreign accent so I just left me a bit confused and I posted to get some help.
Thanks for the response
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
I agree sounds like a scam, is it possible that information is available to access , possibly through use of , I'm just guessing, so maybe don't criticize my thinking out loud, text messages and phone numbers and other details on BT networks can be observed and possibly used by a third party , be it for sales , marketing or to scam? Its just the way things are........
I didn''t know, so I posted to ask someone who might know? Hence my post, thanks for your response.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

08000232023 is a genuine Openreach number. You can easily confirm that 08003289393 is a genuine BT number by calling it (prefacing it with 141 to conceal yours, as always with suspect numbers); it's simply a message saying that BT has tried unsuccessfully to call you.

However, scammers usually spoof numbers so there's no guarantee that a genuine number means a genuine call.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings