cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bloater
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Is there a reason I cannot get Android Pie for my Nokia 8 Sirocco?

Nokia released the system update for the Nokia 8 Sirocco to Android Pie in January, but it cannot be downloaded by BT and EE customers. As a result, I am stuck not just with Android 8.1 but the December security update (ie three months without security patches). 

The known fix is to use a SIM card for a different network, update, and revert to BT mobile where it is said to work perfectly. But I do not have a SIM card for a different network. If Android Pie does indeed work, why the delay in letting us have it? If there is a problem, why are we not told so that we will not be led to upgrade to something which presents problems for BT customers?

Or is it, as many of us suspect, that the verification team are overloaded and have been told to deal only with phones with the largest number of users? In which case, why is the BT shop, for example, selling this as a premium phone? Why not tell customers that they should switch to another network, and BT mobile/EE is only suitable for certain phones?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Bloater
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Is there a reason I cannot get Android Pie for my Nokia 8 Sirocco?

Clearly the reason that there is no response is that BT do not have a satisfactory answer. Which is as I suspected, but it is a serious breach of trust with customers. We are being denied months of security updates without explanation.
0 Ratings
Bloater
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

What is particularly outrageous is that BT actually sell this phone at a premium price. It is a current Android One phone with monthly updates provided by Nokia. Yet the latest security update available to users on the BT mobile network is December 2018. To get the March 2019 update I would have to use a SIM from another provider, and the April update will be released soon. BT are not even attempting to offer a explanation.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

@Bloater wrote:
Yet the latest security update available to users on the BT mobile network is December 2018.

It's also the latest one with the update to Pie just installed on my phone (neither Nokia nor BT Mobile).

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Bloater
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

The latest Android security update was released on 4 March https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2019-03-01

There are delays in releasing these for Nokia phones, but the Android Pie update was released in January and has been since updated. The only users unable to access them seem to be UK users on BT Mobile and anyone else using the EE network. It seems that the block is at EE, but I am a BT customer, and BT owns EE. The only way of applying pressure (which seems to be an administrative/staffing matter) is through BT and I take the refusal to respond to be a implicit admission that the complaints are correct.

EE say that they want to test the updates. But since they do work on the BT network (after first from elsewhere) customers would be better served by realsing them anyway. No other network in the UK seems to hold up security and other upgrades in this way.

On your own phone you need to discover whether the manufacturer has released an Android update. They may not have done. Lack of updates is a way of  forcing you to buy a new one, but mine is a current phone which BT sales actually offers, and Nokia have updated.

Bloater
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

The longer this goes on without explanation or apology from anyone speaking for BT Mobile, the more it confirms that the suspicion is correct; that a decision has been made not to support Nokia phones. This is not the only model affected by a policy that does not appear to be followed by any other provider outside the EE network. Either BT services are considered incompatible with Nokia phones which is why Android security updates are being blocked, or a management decision has been taken not to bother to serve Nokia users. I believe that the evidence points to the latter which is why BT staff have been instructed not to discuss it.
0 Ratings
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Would seem that you and myself are in the same boat when it comes to trying to get answers regarding not only security updates, but also OS updates for Nokia devices of which we are paying BT for.

The silence from BT is really telling us so much, been asking this very question since November when I seen that the OS update of 8.0 was supposed to be coming out. Only to be met with a stoney silence from this forum.

0 Ratings
krisdeb
Message 8 of 10

Just buy any Pay As You Go SIM  from Vodafone or download the Android Pie image and update it yourself manually, I have done it 2 hours after I bought the phone 🙂

0 Ratings
Bloater
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

The fact that the Nokia Android updates can be downloaded from other network providers and used without apparent problems on BT Mobile is precisely the point several of us have been making.

1.  Why should BT customers have to pay another network provider to upgrade?
  2. The official monthly updates contain security fixes that Google class as critical. This is not a 'one off' issue. There is a problem with Nokia 8 Sirocco updates generally, but when they are released it should not be necessary for BT Mobile subscribers to seek them out elsewhere.
  3. The vast majority of users will be unaware of the problems. The whole point of Android One was that they should be protected automatically by updates.
  4. BT Mobile and EE (BT owned) are effectively failing to support Android One. No BT Mobile subscriber can be confident that they will not be in the same position even for phones BT supply. For all I know, there are other makes and models in the same position already, and there are no assurances that they will not happen in future.

The point is that somewhere within BT/EE, a decision has been made to not provide these upgrades, and the lack of any official information confirms that this is not something that they think they can defend to customers. I cannot think of any reason why I would want to recommend BT Mobile to anyone with an Android One phone. Of course I could just move, but that is just what BT would prefer. So long as customers put pressure on BT and embarrass them, there is a chance of getting the policy reversed.

0 Ratings
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I for one will not be going out to buy another providers sim card to update my devices I have got in good faith from BT. If I do somthing like this I will charge BT for the cost of the new additional sim card.

Why is it that the end user has to do all of the leg work to get updates that should be provided by the provider in this case BT, if they have dropped support for these devices, they could at least let customers know and give them options on what they can do with their contracts.

1. A chance to terminate the contract and move to another provider without penalty.

2. Offer an alternative device for the term left on the customers contract.

3. Actually give us some sort of update on what is going on.

This is rather than just stick their heads in the sand and think this problem will go away.

0 Ratings