Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RustyWotsit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Latest Samsung Security Updates

Go to solution

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 running Android 6.0.1 and I have been receiving Samsung's monthly Security Updates on my phone from August onwards, usually about 3 weeks after Samsung release them.  However the last patch I have received is the October 1st update.  Have BT passed on the Nov and Dec patches?  Has anyone esle got them?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Latest Samsung Security Updates

Go to solution

@RustyWotsit wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 running Android 6.0.1 and I have been receiving Samsung's monthly Security Updates on my phone from August onwards, usually about 3 weeks after Samsung release them.  However the last patch I have received is the October 1st update.  Have BT passed on the Nov and Dec patches?  Has anyone esle got them?

November update,  came through on the S5 ok. Current status as at 1st November. Sometimes updates come in the last week of the month, for the 1st of that month, I.e. In arrears.

This is the same Android version.

I have mine set to download updates over wifi only - not on a data connection.

Highlighted
RustyWotsit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, Ribblelancs. I expect the Dec patch will come out in the next few days but it doesn't explain why I didn't and can't get the Nov patch.  So unless there is some difference between S5 and S6 I expect that I have a problem.  Has anyone with an S6 got the Nov patch?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Fusionmoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution
I'm on s7 with Nov, I know that doesn't help, But it's extra info I guess
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@RustyWotsit wrote:

Updates did not come through automatically this month, Android 6.0.1 Samsung Galaxy S5.

I did some searching through the menus.......

Go to Apps > about device >download updates manually.

(You should have wifi enabled to save on data usage and make sure that your battery is a a good state of charge, as it takes some minutes to install.)

The latest update came through, and the version date is shown as 5 Dec 2016.

This should be the same for your S6, as it's the same Android OS.

Hope this helps.

RustyWotsit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks, but I did know about this manual method. I have tried it several times previously (for the Nov patch) and just got the message "latest updates already installed, Current version G920FXXS4DPJ2" etc. I just this minute repeated this process once again and still get the same message.  However, About device<Software info<Android security patch level still shows "1 October 2016"

I know you would expect an S5 and S6 with the same Android version (6.0.1) to show the same patch level but stranger things have happened and I would really appreciate someone with an S6 either confirming that they have the same problem as me or that their patch level now shows 5 Dec 2016 as you describe.  Surely someone with an S6 has read this thread?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

@RustyWotsit wrote:

Thanks, but I did know about this manual method. I have tried it several times previously (for the Nov patch) and just got the message "latest updates already installed, Current version G920FXXS4DPJ2" etc. I just this minute repeated this process once again and still get the same message.  However, About device<Software info<Android security patch level still shows "1 October 2016"

I know you would expect an S5 and S6 with the same Android version (6.0.1) to show the same patch level but stranger things have happened and I would really appreciate someone with an S6 either confirming that they have the same problem as me or that their patch level now shows 5 Dec 2016 as you describe.  Surely someone with an S6 has read this thread?

Yes the Galaxy S6 does have it's own, device specific problems, as I discovered earlier this week, with an overseas visitor.

Hope that someone with hands-on experience will post to help you.

There are also the Android forums available, but you would probably end up with a full reset.

Best to try the simple approach first.

0 Ratings
RustyWotsit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
Anybody with an S6 out there? What's your patch level? You can find it under Settings, at they very bottom under About device > Software info > Android security patch level
0 Ratings
RustyWotsit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

I have since checked with colleagues who have an S6 - one on Vodafone and one on O2,  Both are also still stuck at the 1st Oct 2016 security patch level.

I am wondering if Samsung has relegated the S6 from its previous "flagship" status - with the imminent arrival of the S8 - and hence moved S6 owners onto the slower 3-monthly update cycle that they supposedly support for older mobiles.

I'll keep all you avid S6 owners posted around month end when the Jan update would normally be available.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

@RustyWotsit wrote:

I have since checked with colleagues who have an S6 - one on Vodafone and one on O2,  Both are also still stuck at the 1st Oct 2016 security patch level.

I am wondering if Samsung has relegated the S6 from its previous "flagship" status - with the imminent arrival of the S8 - and hence moved S6 owners onto the slower 3-monthly update cycle that they supposedly support for older mobiles.

I'll keep all you avid S6 owners posted around month end when the Jan update would normally be available.

Sorry no one came back to you.

It seems that what your are saying is the case.

Looking around on the websites, the latest operating system is going to be "nougat" which neither S5 nor S6 can support with their hardware.

Please post on any progress.

S5 has not received security updates (yet) for Jan 2017.

Last update was for Dec 2016.

0 Ratings