Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vetch
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Mobile Data usage

Go to solution

I have only had about 6 months experience of using a mobile phone’s Data feature, because of this I have been ultra cautious in using it. My package is the cheapest one available but because I also have BT broadband the limit for data is doubled up from 500MB to 1GB.

I have just received a warning that my data usage so far this month has reached 665MB, this is in 20 days. This is so far in excess of what I normally use e.g. less than 100 MB I guess-I have no way of checking back - that I have turned data off .

My question here is how do BT collate this data and more to the point can I see it? I am not accusing BT of any malfeasance but if doing things like looking up the cricket scores or the weather is going to give the above usage then this data feature is not for me.

If I contact the mobile department will I get my questions answered? Also any one who can throw some light on data usage here I’ll welcome their input

MY BT only gives the warning of amount of usage unlike the phone calls which itemise all the calls made.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
billybob99
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mobile Data usage

Go to solution

What phone are you using? you should be able to check on the phone as to what app, service etc has been using data that you might night be aware of, just checking cricket scores etc shouldn't use much as long as you haven't been watching videos as this can churn through a bit of data.

Highlighted
Vetch
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

I have an iphone 7, which as mentioned in my op. is relatively new to me. I had no idea the phone might be used to check on usage.

When you talk about being able to check what app.,service has been using data, is it the setting under System Services?

If it is, the total listed is 158MB, quite a few of the services mentioned I’ve never used e.g. Podcasts Music etc. but

I’ve decided I should know more about the phone before switching my data back on. After all I managed without it before!

In a weeks time I start a new month’s usage and I will take more interest in what I’m using

One more thing I’ve just remembered my wife and myself went away a week ago and although she used her phone (iphone 😎 data much more than I did she apparently used less data according to her account. It's a mystery to me!

Cheers .

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @Vetch 

The first thing to do is to make sure that your apps only update over wifi so that they don't use your data allowance.

Go to Settings, scroll down to iTunes & App Store, then make sure that 'Use Mobile Data' is off. It's also worthwhile downloading the BT Mobile App, that will show your usage versus your allowance and is usually always up to date.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If it's a new phone, it may have done a lot of updating. As an Android user, I don't know whether an iPhone has the option to allow updating by wifi only; if it does you might do well to select it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Vetch
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for both responses,

The phone is only new to me, it was a hand me down from my wife and I’ve been using it for approx. 6 months and the data I’ve used has been minimal. Something has changed in the last month regarding the data and it came as a shock when I got a warning about how much data I had left in this month.

I’ve followed some of the suggestions posted here except the one which mentioned the BT Mobile APP which had quite a poor report from users of the app.

I did check to see if my phone was set to only update using WiFi which I think it was. I’m afraid I did a bit of dabbling with some of the settings when this problem arose and I’m not sure I changed it then.

I appreciate the advice posted here and it has been a lot of help to me. I’ve also read up on it using a search for data management and I’m still learning about the features of this phone.

Cheers, both.

0 Ratings