cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
countrymanb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Mobile Phone damaged BT's solution go buy a phone from some one else

My wifes mobile phone suffered water damage yesterday. I contacted BT today 31st March, to inquire what options were available. My wife is disabled and needs  her phone as this is the contact number the medical proffessionals have for her.

There is 4 months left on the BT contract which I expected to honor but I also expected to be able to either get another phone from BT, even at my cost or upgrade / renew the contract and therefore get a replacement handset. I was confident something could be done. I was wrong - BT's solution / advice is BT will send me a new sim card and I need to go and buy  a phone from some one else. BT will not let me upgrade early. It seems astonising that BT do not have a policy to cover this situation. What is the point of offering a service if there is no back-up.

If any of the moderators read this please can an you advise if I've been provided with the correct advice.

If I have to go to another provider for a phone I will need to be able to transfer my wifes existing mobile number to them. Will this be possible or will bt insist on keeping the number till the end of the contract period. 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: Mobile Phone damaged BT's solution go buy a phone from some one else

@countrymanb

Have you logged into the mybtmobile website and looked at the top, there is normally an upgrade sections see if this will allow it on the number you wish to use.

You can port your number out before the end of term but you will still be held to term for the remainder of the contract.

You may also want to try to speaking to retentions team, tell then you want to leave.. see if that gets thier attention! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
countrymanb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

I'll go and look. It seems that BT are telling me to leave and go with another provider. I'm not sure what retentions will do but its worth a try. To be honest if BT can't help we will have no option but to go elsewhere. 

0 Ratings
countrymanb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Hi Dean007

the only upgrades are sim only deals - it was worth checking out - thanks

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

@countrymanb

While you wait for a moderator...

Depending on the plan you have you maybe able to reduce down, port out and then port back in on a new contract. But this situation isnt unique to BT and it was why I left o2 when BT launched, I'm afraid all netowrks will normally hold to term. Retentions due just that, they try and get you to stay.. it may or may not work. Telling any company you want to leave normally gets you a responce one way or another.

If the mods cant help, you can also look at buying a reasonably prices sim free handset and popping the sim in. Its not ideal but it saves having to mess around with porting out.. in and setting up new accounts.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 17

If you accept that you would have to pay for a 'new' phone in some way, what's stopping you buying a unlocked phone ( new or used) from whoever you want, and putting your BT sim into that ?,
Presumably a reason you cannot upgrade early , is what length commitment would come with it, 12 months , or 16 months, ( 12 plus the 4 you already are contracted to paying ), these things are probably built into the sales software, and even if you were happy to be contracted for an unusual period of time ( 16 months) chances are there won't be a way for the sales people to arrange it, and what if you only wanted to be contracted for 12 months, what about the other 4 months ?

0 Ratings
countrymanb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Will the BT sim card work in a non BT phone? If it doesn't work then that's all options spent. the problem is for us is not having access to the existing mobile number for 4 months. If this turns out to be the case we will move the broadband, landline and mobile to Sky.

Do you have a contact for retention's. Is it the same as cancellations?
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 17

An unlocked phone will work on any network, that's presumably why they have sent you a new sim, so you can insert this new sim in a replacement phone.

If you want to use Sky, port your number and pay off the 4 months .

TBH, it's not a huge issue, in fact unless you need to have the latest and greatest handset, you could probably be reconnected for free ( most people I guess will have family or friends who will have a draw with 'last years'  handsets that were replaced by a newer model) or relatively little (£20-£30) for a new but not very 'sexy' phone...after 4 months you probably will get an upgrade deal anyway

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 17

@countrymanb

As @iniltous  said its not a huge problem just an inconvience.. but you can get around it!

Rententions is the same as cancelling, but lets see what the mods can do if anythingSmiley Happy

0 Ratings
countrymanb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

I don't no about BT's legal requirements or there internal processes, which is why I asked a moderator to provide assistance. As for buying a new phone - well that's why I opted for a contract phone so you don't have to pay a lot of money upfront. In July, when the contract is up we planned to upgrade to one of the desirable phones that wil be on offer, which to buy will be £600+. I didn't want to buy an unlocked / possibly used phone. However, BT are not offering another option.

0 Ratings