Did you mean: 
Highlighted
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 33

Mobile Porting Problems

Go to solution

Hi

I urgently need assistance with an issue in BT not porting my mobile phone numbers on the date they had set. In summary i have moved my family onto the BT family SIM deal. 1 of my daughters switched over earlier than myself, wife and other daughter and this transition was seamless. I cannot say the same though for the remaining 3 sims. We kick started the process towards the end of December, we obtained the PAC codes from our then current provider and were told that our phones would port over to the BT sims before midnight on the 2nd January. We received confirmation emails throughout, leading up to this point and we all received a text on the 1st January reminding us that our numbers would port over on the 2nd. So far so good.

On the morning of the 2nd all 3 of us experienced a "loss of signal"  it would appear that our existing mobile provider had cut us off. I was slightly concerned by this as we were meant to get a text from BT to say that the port had happened and we could swap SIMs over.

Tuesday afternoon i had an online chat with an agent asking for re-assurance that everything was fine. She confirmed that we would all port over before midnight on the 2nd - she gave me the assurance i asked for. I asked if we should put the BT SIMs in our phones in readiness and she confirmed yes, this should be done.

Woke up Wednesday morning and nothing had happened. The only thing that had changed was that my number had ported across, my wife and daughters numbers had not and none of us could make/receive calls or texts.

Wednesday (yesterday) afternoon i did another online chat and was initially told that it would be sorted by midnight that night. Having my own business and needing a phone clearly i wasnt happy as i needed something sorted sooner, i was then transferred to a supervisor.

I was asking for immediate escalation and support to fix the issue and was basically told im not the only person experiencing this issue and effected multiple customers - it was down to "unforseen circumstances". I pressed the issue and the the "uforseen circumstances" turned out to be an "outage" and "holdiays" - i was re-assured that it would be resolved within 24 hours. Given that fact that id already had re-assurance it would be resolved i pressed for a time and date. The "supervisor" would not commit to a time and date, i pressed the issue regarding "24 hours from when" and was told "24 hours from when they start looking at it" - my natural assumption was 24 hours from the point of me chatting to the agent.

Clearly i was upset by this and not happy - i have a business and have no phone, my wife and daughter cannot contact anyone either and i am being mislead by the agent in their use of the term "24 hours".

I asked the agent why BT started the porting process if they could not continue it through to conclusion the response was "at the time it was going to be completed" - really? At one point i asked for the issue to be escalated, the agent agreed and said that they would call me to speak to me in person. I then had to point out to the agent (supervisor) that it would be great if they could call me but i dont think it would work given that is why i was talking to them in the first place.

The agent (supervisor) kept telling me that a complaint would be raised and that was i happy with closing the online chat. I was not happy as i was not getting the information i needed. eventually the agent simply ended the conversation - cut me off, i did not even get a reference number.

It is now Thursday afternoon, my wife, daughter and i still do not have the ability to make or receive calls and texts and i have no idea what the problem is or when it will be resolved?

My assumption (which could be incorrect) is that, due to people being on holiday, many customers have experienced this issue and basically there is a back log which BT are working through. If this the case i do not find this "unforseen" and basically shocking that we have been left in this position. If the porting process cannot be completed from start to finish - do not start the process in the first place - at least we would still have full mobile phone functionality.

I urgently need assistance with this - how is it we can simply be cut off and left without any phone capbility and left completely in the dark as to what the issue is and when it will be fixed? If i am going to be told it will be fixed "within 24 hours" i will now be asking "24 hours from when?"

I have copied the online transcript and would gladly send this to whomever in BT are interested - for me this is an example of what great customer service does not look like.

We are now into our 3rd day of not having a complete mobile phone service and for myself (trying) to run a small business find this distressing and alarming. Not the greatest welcome to the BT service i was expecting.

Please can someone help?

John

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: Mobile Porting Problems

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution

Hi @John17

Welcome to the community and thanks for your posts!

Sorry for the problems you're having getting all the mobile numbers ported over to us.  I appreciate the time you have already spent trying to get this sorted so you can send us over your details and we'll give you a hand from here.

We deal with cases strictly in turn as we receive them so as soon as you reach the top of our email queue one of the guys will give you a shout to help.  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Jasco
Contributor
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

Same issue here - my number was supposed to port across on 2nd Jan. Been through online chat and spoke to somebody from 'orders' who assured me it would be sorted within 24hrs (it's not). I was told there are 9000 others with the same issue and it's EE's fault :smileyindifferent: I can receive calls on my new 'temporary' number but I can't make any calls or texts to tell anybody what this number is in the meantime. I ordered two sims, the other one that i did not port a number into is working fine and is the only one showing up in my account. 

0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution

Hi Robbie

I have done as asked. I have included order and sales reference numbers as well if thats useful.

Regards

John

0 Ratings
maffc
Beginner
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

I too am in the same boat

I transferred both my son's mobiles to the BT family plan and they port was due to complete on the 2nd.

Nothing from BT to advise there was an issue until 4 hours after i rung to complain and 24 hours after the number stopped working on the original network.

Currently their keep number is non operational and they cannot tell any of their contacts about the BT number as a temporary measure that is now incoming only.

My youngest son suffers from mental health issues and needs his phone for support and to call for help if he suffers from an attack., which of course happened yesterday whilst out.  He was unable to call me for help, nor was he able to contact his doctors and later on call a taxi.

whenever i have contact with BT i get the same generic non-answer "sorry for the inconvience, we are having technical issues, it will be 24 - 48 hours"

It's not inconvenient, its outright dangerous for one of my son's to be out of contact.

I am disgusted with BT for their handling of this issue - I am none the wiser as to what the issue is or a date and time as to when this will be resolved.

As i know the porting is not performed over the weekend their latest 24-48 hours is actually 24 - 96 hours. Completely unacceptable.

As for offers of refunds on the days the service cannot be used, that is pitiful as the value of the service outweighs the cost, especially in the case of my youngest son as that service is priceless to me due to his conditions.

0/10 for service

0/10 for keeping your customers informed 

0 Ratings
Ifield
Beginner
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution
I have the same issue. Porting was due to complete on the 2nd , still waiting... No outgoing calls possible from the temporary number. I also have the same experience of BT service. No contact has so far been initiated by BT not an email or text. I have contacted them multiple times, each time I get vague assurances. They are about to lose a customer.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

Hi @Ifield and welcome.

I'm sorry you've had problems porting the number over. I'll be happy to take a look at this for you. Please drop me over an email with your details. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

@Jasco and @maffc if you're still having problems please send over your details and I'll check this for you as well.

We're very busy at present so it's taking longer than expected to reply but once you submit the details we'll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
John17
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

Hi

Now into day 4 with no change in circumstance. I say that and yet my number, which had ported across on the 2nd (although could not make or receive calls and texts) seems to have reverted back to the original number that came with the SIM - I had a "Trust new number?" message this morning on my iphone! So it seems that what little progress had been made on the 2nd - has just been undone.

I did get a phonecall last night from a chap, i believe it was in response to the fact i raised a formal complaint. These guys have a thankless job, being on the front line in times of disruption is always tricky. To be fair to the guy he was polite and did his best however, as customers we want to know:

1) What the issue is

2) What actions BT are taking to resolve the issue

3) When the issue will be resolved

Unfortunately the guy could only tell me it was a "technical issue" that they hoped to have fixed soon, so yes i have now had contact from someone within BT and yet he was as much in the dark as i still am.

I asked if they were looking at this issue on a 24/7 basis and would people be looking at this over the weekend, working on it until fixed? He said they would not wait until Monday to tell customers what was happening. I said he was not answering my question, and asked again. He answered in a similar way at which point i said he was still not answering my question. Clearly this was placing him in an uncomfortable position. With the lack of information, people like me are left to fill in our own blanks. I am therefore assuming that this is not an issue which is being addressed on a 24/7 basis and will not be looked at over the weekend - if this is the case this is frankly shocking and unbelievable.

When i challenged him to say that ive been told it was down to people being on holiday - he said this was not the case and that it was in fact due to a technical issue. I asked him what "technical issue" actually meant - he did not know.

I asked him for an approximate time by which the fix will be in place - he did not know.

He said 90% of customers are being effected by this issue. He has therefore information which is completely meaningless as this means nothing to myself and others who have been impacted by this.

On Tuesday, when i enquired about me being cut off, i was told that it would go ahead as planned and everything would port across by midnight Tuesday. On Wednesay when this had not happened i was told it would happen by midnight Wednesday (by one person) and "in 24 hours" by someone else. Thursday evening im being phoned to be told its a technical issue. If this was the case why am i being told that "it will be fixed by midnight" or "within 24 hours"? Get the facts to the issue and be consistent with your messaging - creating conflicting messages only serves to make the issue worse by setting false expectations.

If this is a technical issue, get the technical team to tie up with the communications team and get the message out there, put something on the community forum, put something on the website, email the impacted customers. Arm the front line teams with relevant and useful information - phoning me up and basically saying (i shall paraphrase here) "Hi, this is BT. We apologise for the incoveniance, we do not know what the issue is, we do not know what we are doing about it and we do not know when it will be resolved - however we will call back again tomorrow" is less than helpful.

0 Ratings