Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ColinB1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Mobile battery depletion

Go to solution

Can anyone explain?  Two identical unlocked Samsung J3 mobiles. Charge both to 100%. Put BT SIM in one and Giffgaff SIM in other. Put both on standby. The one with BT Sim needs recharging after 24hours but one with Giffgaff lasts further 72hours. Repeat process but switch SIMs to other phone. The same thing happens. WHY???

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Mobile battery depletion

Go to solution

The strength of mobile signal could be a factor, do you get a stronger signal with GiffGaff (O2) than BT?

Even so, the difference between 24 and 72 hours seems a lot.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

There are comments regarding volte calling on Android’s newer operating system.

Try disabling volte. Perhaps the signal is weaker with one service provider.

0 Ratings
ColinB1
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
Both about the same strength. And
yes, I agree that the difference is a lot! I originally thoought it might be dodgy SIM so got replacement. Still same issue. Not sure if EE have reduced signal power but it only started hapoening about 6 weeks ago.
0 Ratings
ColinB1
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks. Signal strength about same. Can't find Volte on the J3. Two networks use different signal type though so perhaps that's the problem. This only started about 6 weeks ago so purchased refurb J3 and replace BT SIM. Still same problem.
0 Ratings
ColinB1
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
Just updating. Switching back to 2G/3G (autoconnect) seems to have cured problem. Thrrefore have to assume 4G needs more power or the, at least, the Samsung J3s do. Thanks for advice, it did help.
PKALVA
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Colin.

I have the same problem with my wife's J3, when I put my Sky sim in it there isn't a problem.

She only uses it for phoning and texting too - down to 64% this morning after charging last night !!

Has switching off 4G still solved the problem for you ?

Cheers,

Peter

0 Ratings
ColinB1
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Peter,

Yes switching back to 3G solved the issue. Battery lasts 4 days or more just in standby. Does not seem to affect the phone calls, messages or internet connections and I don't 'stream' films or music anyway.

Hope this helps,

Colin.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@PKALVA wrote:

Hi Colin.

I have the same problem with my wife's J3, when I put my Sky sim in it there isn't a problem.

She only uses it for phoning and texting too - down to 64% this morning after charging last night !!

Has switching off 4G still solved the problem for you ?

Cheers,

Peter

If the phone is only used for phoning and texting, you could try disabling Wi-fi and location services when the phone is left in standby. Texts and phone calls will still come through. Emails will come through at the next time you enable Wi-fi (and location service).

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

have you checked to see if phone is set to switch to mobile connection if wifi is poor or unstable?  

settings/connection/wifi/advanced/switch to mobile data

I found that running battery down as phone kept switch from one to the other so switched it off and now ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.