Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stefan_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Mobile contract ending, upgrade not working

Go to solution

Hello,

My mobile contract ends tomorrow, which means that I have paid off my phone. The 'Upgrade now' button is present in my BT account for my mobile package, but I cannot upgrade / change to a SIM only plan.

I am not prepared to continue paying a mobile phone rate that included paying off a phone when the phone has now been paid for. I cannot chat, or get anyone on the phone and the internet upgrade is not working.

Ideally, BT should reduce my monthly rate automatically and move me to a SIM only plan. How can I make sure that this is happening, please?

Thanks for reading and perhaps giving it some thought, any input would be appreciated.

Kind regards!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Mobile contract ending, upgrade not working

Go to solution

IIRC there are two contact windows. The first opens at 3 months before the end of contract and in this one you can renew and take a new handset. It's the second window, which is 4-6 weeks before actual contract end where you can move to an airtime only type of deal.

-Richie-
Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@Stefan_Twrote:

Ideally, BT should reduce my monthly rate automatically and move me to a SIM only plan. How can I make sure that this is happening, please?

If the minimum term has ended and online isn't playing nice, give the Mobile Loyalty team a call on 0800 800 150 or 150 from your mobile, you can then decide if you want a new handset deal or to move to a sim only contract.

-Richie-
Guru
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@NigelB72wrote:

IIRC there are two contact windows. The first opens at 3 months before the end of contract and in this one you can renew and take a new handset. It's the second window, which is 4-6 weeks before actual contract end where you can move to an airtime only type of deal.

Handset to new handset deal = last 90 days
Handset to Sim only = last 30 days

Stefan_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Hello, Thank you for the number, going to call tomorrow. Cheers!
Stefan_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hello,

This is good to know information. However, it does only show when the 'Upgrade now' button should start to work. I tried to do an Upgrade to SIM only two weeks ago on a couple of times afterwards, selecting a SIM only plan, as well as the Upgrade option, but it stopped with 'no upgrade options for this account' or similar. As stated in my outreach, my mobile contract ends today, so may I ask: Would it not be kind to switch customers to a SIM only plan automatically? Would it not be polite to reach out to customers informing about upcoming options to switch?

The SIM only plan I am looking at would save me over 10 pounds per month with much more data, so yes BT would provide me with better service for less, but it also would stop me from seriously considering to switching completely.

I very much appreciate all the input so far and it is great to know these dates and timelines (they should be in bold in contracts as far as I would suggest), but whoever accepted this answer as an 'Accepted solution' may be misleading others.

Thanks again to this community! It is communities like this one who really help the most actually!

All the best wishes! 

Stefan_T
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hello,

So this phone call was the solution!

Smoothly and very professional, the BT person on the phone did help with finding a very suitable SIM only plan and the switch.

Thank you -Richie- for providing the phone number.

Best wishes!

Tags (1)