cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Mobile data speed appears to be capped at 30mb/s download speed in spite of BT Halo benefits

My mobile data speed appears to be  capped at 30mb/s almost all the time. When I have ran speed tests even if I am very close to a mast, the speed is at or below 30mb/s. When the speed test is run it peaks at 50mb/s+ but quickly falls down to 30mb/s or below.  Screenshots are attached of the speed tests and the signal strength info. I believe that due to the Halo benefits, I should be entitled to up to 90mb/s, which I received once on 25/4 but from yesterday (26/4), the speed appears to be capped again. I appreciate that many factors affect speed but these 30mb/s results are on 4G+ with 4/4 bars of signal. I have ran many more speed tests than these near the mast all with around 30mb/s download and 15mb/s upload. Any help would be appreciated.speedtest mobile.jpg

signal strength mobile.jpg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mobile data speed appears to be capped at 30mb/s download speed in spite of BT Halo benefits

4G can be fast but each cell has a relativity low capacity and it doesn't take very many users on a cell to swamp it and each person get nothing like what they should, you can have full signal and zero data throughput on a full cell. This is the main reason for the push to 5G, it isn't the faster speeds it is the massively increased capacity.

There is a golden spot near me where i can get just under 250mbs on 4G but move 500 meters in either direction you move to another cell and you get 6mbs.

All that said you may well have been capped but I'd go see what you are getting on the surrounding cells just to see first and then if you need to ring BT you can say this is happening all over the shop.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Mobile data speed appears to be capped at 30mb/s download speed in spite of BT Halo benefits

@scrapofpaperwrote:

I believe that due to the Halo benefits, I should be entitled to up to 90mb/s, 

Really? Where did you read that? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the insight. I have checked surrounding cells now and unfortunately the same is happening. I am going to call BT and see what they say.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

I’ve been a Halo customer for some time and have not experienced a capped service on 4G or 5G.

Must be an issue with your account/line.

0 Ratings