Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joebhoy
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Monthly Spend Cap - Add an option for £0

Go to solution

The reason I moved away from vodafone was they never had any spend cap when i was there. Now they have fixed it and you can have a spend cap of £0 - meaning you never go over your plan. I have 5 sims with BT, four of them are for kids. They have no interest in keeping tabs on their data allowance. IT would be easy for BT to add a £0 spend cap as an option. That way I am not an extra £20 a month on top of my bill. I'm sure it adds to your profits but if its not resolved I will move my sims when the contract ends back to vodafone. (which i would not like to do as i'm happy with BT service)

23 REPLIES 23
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: Monthly Spend Cap - Add an option for £0

Go to solution

Have you had a chat with the mobile chat team to see if they can do anything manually to the account?

0 Ratings
joebhoy
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

No, I wouldnt have thought they would do that. Have they done it before ?

update : they wont do it. I posted this item in feedback and suggestions. Obvioulsy they didnt like this suggestion as it was moved.

0 Ratings
m2018gc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

I am in the same position. I don't mind if the £5 is spent by children on a call or text if they go over the limit but I don't think the cap (which I have set to £5) should be spent on data at a cost of £100 per gigabyte (yes! Work it out 10p per megabyte or £5 gets you 50 megabytes of data over your allowance!!).

I complained to BT and was toldI'm so sorry to inform you that spend cap can at minimum be set to £5, I really wish I could get this to £0 but it is done to provide you an emergency balance

Are we the only parents with this issue? I doubt it.

I don't think BT should qualify the use of £5/ 50 mB data an emergency backup for OUR children. I

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

@m2018gc1

By all means post on the forums but the only BT employees are the moderators. If you wish to complain feel free to do so to the mobile chat team, but double posting or  creating several post about the same thing will either get the post removed, or moved into one thread.  

0 Ratings
joebhoy
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

I will be making a complaint to BT. I suggest anyone who doesn't like this feature do the same. There is no reason whatsoever why this cant have a workaround or be optional. To me its just an extra source of easy revenue for them

m2018gc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

@joebhoywrote:

I will be making a complaint to BT. I suggest anyone who doesn't like this feature do the same. There is no reason whatsoever why this cant have a workaround or be optional. To me its just an extra source of easy revenue for them

I am in the process of complaining. I think £100/gB is exploiting children who have so called 'family sims'.

I have a mind to complain about this to the Children's Commissioner too!

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

@m2018gc1

You are still multi posting about the same thing. 

You have as I’ve said you have several options, the main one is to complain directly to BT in writingif you are not happy. Making comments on a forum won’t change what they have said.  

Or cancel your additional family sims if you do not like the terms and conditions and move your children to a pay as you go based sim. 

You could also argue that the SIM card and contract you entered into is know as a family sim package, however when you ordered the sims you will have had a cooling off period to cancel if you didn’t like any part of the service or agreement.

You as the account holder will be responsible for the account should a large or unauthorised calls, text or data cause a large bill to be produced f your children are not if at an age to act responsibly with the sim.  It would be helpful if every company could change everything to be child friendly but they are not, you have said you have spoken to BT mobile who have said that the £5 cap is the minimum so complaining outside of BT isn’t going to do much good,  as far as BT is concerned the terms of contract haven’t changed and your the named person on the contract agreement and the one responsible for running the account.

The term family sim simply means multiple sims on one account not authorisation to give to children who make act in a way that may cause additional cost to the account holder. 

0 Ratings
m2018gc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution
@Dean007
I originally posted on a different thread but have acknowledged on that thread your post about multi-posting.

However this thread is probably more appropriate as my view is the same as that of the original poster.

You said in your reply that 'Family Sim' refers to multiple Sims on the one account yet if you check BTs' own advertising it is clearly aimed at family (whether married or 'couples') http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones-tablets/bt-family-sim-mobile-deal-11364106256962

And they even use pictures of children on smart phones etc in the promotion!!
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

@m2018gc1

Thanks for keeping it to one thread, it keeps it easier for everyone to read. 

I totally understand what you are saying and why you are saying it. But you have somewhat missed my point. 

The family sim means a group of sims on one account. You can give them to family including your children or even friends. But the account holder is held accountable for all sims. Again I get why you want the cap set to £1 or even zero but they have chosen not to for what ever reason. 

So the options still remain the same, leave the cap at £5, write to BT and explain why you think they should reduce the cap or cancel the sims your children use. I don’t mean to sound harsh but if the children can’t keep track of their sims you can also download. The my BTmobile app that shows remaining minutes text and data. It also shows additional spending. As the main account holder you can have the same app to show all the sims in real time. I get what your saying but as I said it’s not BT’s job to manage everyone spends or how they use their device. 

If your children are at an age where they may constantly go over their allowance increase their package or use a pay as you go sim. It’s not an ideal solution but it’s a quick one.  I appreciate you mentioned other posts about the same issue, but whilst I don’t want to dismiss your complaint 33 isn’t a lot in comparison to how many family sims they have issued.  The product teams within BT will look at what people talk to the mobile chat team about and complaint letters  that’s your best recourse to put your issues across. 

0 Ratings