Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clever_trevor
Contributor
Message 11 of 24

Re: Monthly Spend Cap - Add an option for £0

Go to solution
Me 2 - spoke with them today - minimum is £5 - this is ridiculous - we should be able to limit to our monthly allowance - Vodafone, O2 & Three do this - Looks like I need to move networks
m2018gc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 24

Go to solution
I unfortunately, had to resort to drastic action. In order to prevent the monthly surcharge of £5 for 50mB of extra data (equivalent to £100 per GB) I changed the APN on the phone. I set it to IPV6 only and deleted the login and password settings (Then saved the APN).

Why is this drastic, because now the smart phones only receive/send voice calls and texts. Data still works on WiFi and still can be used for text/voice calls,no 3G or 4G data but no £5 extra charge per month of data (and texts/calls are "unlimited").

If only there was an app that would lock down/change the APN before a certain limit, or would lock it down after a certain daily limit (e.g. 90 minutes per day or e.g. 4GB ÷ number of days in the month).

I know BT have some parental controls but they are not very user friendly and in the past after making a change all my spending defaults apparently reverted to the default.

Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @m2018gc1

I am sorry to say that currently £5 is the minimum cap, which for most users is fine. But I appreciate this is not what some users would like. BT I believe do inform users when they reach 80% of their data. It maybe something BT may change in the futur...

@clever_trevor it would be a shame to see you leave after you said that the double data you get from being an”plus” customer seems to work for you.  

0 Ratings
clever_trevor
Contributor
Message 14 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks - I still believe that a zero extra spend should be an option - its not unreasonable to agree a monthly contract & ask for it capped - after all is we are alerted at 80% we have the option then to change it. 

Its really not acceptable to have to agree to extra 

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 24

Go to solution

I'm not with BT Mobile and neither condone nor condemn the lack of a zero cap, but I've followed this debate and a provocative question arises. If a user is not mature enough to manage a usage limit can they be trusted with a smartphone?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
m2018gc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 24

Go to solution

@pottypersonwrote:

If a user is not mature enough to manage a usage limit can they be trusted with a smartphone?

That is an interesting question but if a user was not mature enough to manage a usage limit should they be on the internet at all? What about school internet, what about home internet access? This is about a surcharge for data that is extremely expensive (£100 per gigabyte) and which can rake up huge charges in a short period of time. I know mature pensioners who cannot manage usage limits and get their grandchildren to sort out their smartphones
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 24

Go to solution

Like it or not, who ever is the account owner is the responcible person who is held to contract. It is upto those people to manage their accounts, if they choose to allow it to be used by children or an older person that is their choice but the contract is in your name and upto you manage the account accordingly and ensure that it if you do not want the account to use a buffer/ spending cap to monitor it.

As I have said previously unless BT change the cap, the options are to cancel the additonal sim and move to an account that is managed by a PAYG system such as giff gaff. 

Whilst I understand the comments constantly posting the same thing on websites that are not monitored by BT only the community team wont change anything other than raise the issue to other users on the forums, contact the online chat team and raise a complaint. That way at least it gets fed back to the product teams ..

0 Ratings
joebhoy
Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Go to solution

Getting pretty sick of the responses here. All we're asking for is for BT to reduce the cap from £5 to £0.

Its easily done.

They do it to make money bacuse THEY know kids go over the limit.

Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 24

Go to solution

@joebhoy

Have you raised a complaint with the mobile chat team?  

0 Ratings
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 24

Go to solution

I think a fiver is a small price to pay to teach kids some sense of personal responsibilty.