Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joebhoy
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Monthly spend caps -

Go to solution

I have a few sims for my kids and can only set the spend cap to £5. Is there anyway to set this to 0 - being kids they alwsy go over their limit. 

8 REPLIES 8
V_Meldrew
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Monthly spend caps -

Go to solution

@joebhoy wrote:

I have a few sims for my kids and can only set the spend cap to £5. Is there anyway to set this to 0 - being kids they alwsy go over their limit. 

No, £5 is the minimum

0 Ratings
joebhoy
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Well thats just ****. 

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

i know tesco mobile do same thing but £2.50 up to £50 you can ask bt on the phone who able to give u bit more info on this, if you got kids i think Giffgaff is pay as you go for you kids hope this help

0 Ratings
m2018gc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
I have two children that have BT 'family sim'(s) . It allows them to go over their limit by a minimum of £5 per month.

These are children of course they will go over this limit and using it for data at a cost of 10 pence per megabyte or equivalent of £100 per one gigabyte!!!! £5 gets you 50mb.

I complained to BT about this and they said "I'm so sorry to inform you that spend cap can at minimum be set to £5, I really wish I could get this to £0 but it is done to provide you an emergency balance"

I sincerely hope no child depends on data for emergencies .

I would also like to see a lower minimum cap (Eg £1) for"emergencies and for family Sims restricted to phonecalls or texts only.

I have as a last resort restricted their phones to calls and texts only and no data (go into mobile networks...access point names edited this and changed username and password to blank).

Now these children can phone or text but will not go over the limit because they have no data access at all. The best thing is they don't blame the billpayer. These consumers of the future think the BT signal/ service is awful (compared to what their friends have) but unfortunately it is an unwanted restriction that as a parent I have had to impose.

Please BT,Please think again about this 'emergency' charge on your 'family sim' plans.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @m2018gc1

whilst I appreciate your views you can also understand why an emergency balliance is helpfull . A £1 limit maybe in your instance good but in others that wouldn’t be enough. For example calling outside of your allowance to a number that’s not included. Parents could in theory place a £1 limit but a call to a non geographic number could soon eat that up and wouldn’t leave enough for a child to make a second call. 

The caps allow you to restrict premium rate calls and text also. 

But the product teams  at BT are always looking at ways to improve the service so they may review the spend caps at some point. 

0 Ratings
m2018gc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

• @Dean007wrote:

Hi @m2018gc1

A £1 limit maybe in your instance good but in others that wouldn’t be enough. For example calling outside of your allowance to a number that’s not included. Parents could in theory place a £1 limit but a call to a non geographic number could soon eat that up and wouldn’t leave enough for a child to make a second call. 

Yes then why not restrict the 'Emergency Caps' to phone calls (or even texts and phonecalls) and not data charged at £100 per GB (£100 per gigabyte!)!!

We are talking about 'Bt Family SIM' for families presumably paid for by the parents.

During a severe flood or emergency last year I recall that even the emergency services were appeaing to people to use standard 112 or 999 calls and not to use social media or internet to request help because they couldn't guarantee requests over internet could be processed.

If one of my children run out of funds on their phone certainly I would be happy that they use the extra 'capped' money to phone me. I would hope they phone and not try to text or email because who knows when the message would be delivered or read !

@Dean007wrote:

Hi @m2018gc1

The caps allow you to restrict premium rate calls and text also

Ok. Why cant they restrict data overuse?       Am I the only parent that is not happy with this?

I used the search function on this forum typed in"capped" and found 33 entries. Maybe I should start a new thread.

Why can't the caps restrict ALL Data use over the allowance instead of charging £100 per gigabyte ...i.e £5 for 50mb of data?  Certainly use the option of emergency funds for phone calls but not Snapchat or YouTube or Facebook videos at £100/GB.

Tags (5)
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@m2018gc1

You have already posted that you have made a complaint To BT about this and they responded. Putting multiple post or threads won’t change their response. 

Whilst sympathetic to the situation, your best line would be to formally write and complain, writing post on a forum that th mobile team don’t manage will nor achieve anything. 

May best advice is to follow the official complaints procedure.  Creating multiple post and threads will just end up with the moderation team removing them as duplicate post. 

tmantell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
I agree / give us full control on spend - need to be able to set zero.
0 Ratings