Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Montyb47
Beginner
Message 11 of 65

Re: Move to BT Mobile. Poor signal!

Hi,

I've been BT mobile for many years, when it was BT mobile Fusion, then it used the Vodafone network & signal was brilliant.

Since they relaunched under the EE network my signal at home has been practically none existent, I have to go to the upstairs windows to get a signal.

I live in a suburb of Derby, outside the house signal is full strength 4G, no problems at all.

We now have 2 other phones on BT (because of the good wifi & BT wifi), but both suffer the same as mine at home.

I contacted BT last year & the lady I spoke to said she would look into, but when she came back she said there was nothing BT could do at the moment, she had heard that BT were planning on bringing out a femtocell device to help with poor signal issues, but I've not heard anything since!

I did a bit of research into the poor signal issue & from what I could gleam it’s because EE use a lower band frequency range which doesn't go through buildings very well. Whether that’s correct I don't know; my daughter is on virgin (which I believe also runs off EE) & she gets an okay signal. I've swapped sims over as a test & the signals were the same, so it’s not the phones. Could that suggest it might be a BT problem!

The crazy thing is when it was BT Fusion, this was designed to combat the problem of poor signal strength - the mobile phones could connect to the BT hub & use VOIP, you could start a call in the house with the phone linked to the hub, then walk out the house & the call would swap to the 3G signal seamlessly & vice a versa. It originally worked via bluetooth & then WiFi.

The only problem was they could only get a couple of handset manufacturers to include the required software, I think there were a couple of a Motorola & then a couple of Samsungs, & a Benq smartphone (brilliant little windows phone by the way with a tiny screen). So it never really got going & then BT changed it to BT Anywhere (I think). Does that sound like what EE & the other networks are now successfully doing.

Daniel, I'm happy to give you more details about my situation if you want to help us as well.

cheers

MontyB

0 Ratings
Siggis
Beginner
Message 12 of 65

I have a contract with BT Mobile since July 2017. Before I was with EE and the signal and coverage was most of the time fine. I also checked coverage beforehand and the result was that coverage would be good. I live in London. However to my disappointment the signal is never more than 1 or 2 bar, but worse is that during my whole holiday in New Forest and Isle of Wight this summer I had NO SIGNAL AT ALL. And today I was in Queen Elisabeth Olympic Park in London and again: NO SIGNAL. Here also my WiFi disappeared, the phone went off and when I restarted I got the message that I had to place a SIM-card, while obviously I hadn't taken it out or anything. Back home everything is back to normal as before. It is very annoyng when you can't trust your network and provider. Before with EE I had always signal here. I was told that BT uses EE network and that coverage would be the same, but this is absolutely not the case and I am very disadvantaged.

Apparently many people before me have the same issue.

I hope that BT will solve this issue as soon as possible and strength of signal AND coverage will be improved.

siggis

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 65

Since moving to Bt Mobile 12 months ago I have always had connection issues where ever I go and I never did before under my other mobile provider. It’s shocking and I am seriously thinking of buying myself out of my contract and ditching them. Really really poor.
0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 65

No it's that BT, who own and use the EE network, work on a higher band frequency. This has the advantage of high speeds regarding 4G and does not slow down within areas of high usage. The disadvantage of the higher spectrum is the ability to cover a larger grographical area, and it's not good at going through buildings to give solid indoor coverage.

EE brag, quite rightly, regarding their fast G4 speeds but this is at the sacrifice and coverage and building penetration. Other networks use 800Mhz spectrum which covers a larger area and gives far better indoor coverage.

My location Norfolk according to the EE coverage checker gives 4G in areas, but this bears no reality to the real coverage users get. It's quite frankly terrible. Lord knows how the network will provide cover to Emergency Services Network on their current real life network coverage. 

0 Ratings
chrissheppy69
Contributor
Message 15 of 65

Bt use all EE frequency, 800mhz, 1800 and 2600 for 4G so they hare all aspects covered. I have come from three and it's significantly better.

0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 65

Yes the do indeeb have various spectrum. However of all the providers they have the least 800Hhz spectrum. And they have not rolled out this spectrum to all areas. The 800Mhz spectrum is particularly valuable in rural areas as the location of mast is not as abundant urdan areas. So yes EE do have more spectrum but the vast majority of this is of poor use in rural areas. Hence the poor coverage in my location and Norfolk rural areas in general. 

I would love to have stayed with EE but I got sick of pay a 4G contract with no network coverage!

0 Ratings
chrissheppy69
Contributor
Message 17 of 65

Not according to Kevin Bacon, been banging on about new masts for months.....I am sat here in rural north Yorkshire with good 4G signal and a good 20mb throughput. On three I had nothing, on O2 and Vodafone good 4G signal strength but virtually no throughput. The bt/ee mast is the furthest away, but it's all subjective I suppose.

0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 65

Wish I could get that sort of coverage in Norfolk. Terrible in most areas. I'm from North Yorkshire my Sister lives in Pickering when I visit her I get full strength and very fast speeds, that was on my EE contract which I have now ported to another provider. Other half still with EE will see how here coverage improved in the future.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 65

I am also having lots of problems with dropped calls and poor reception. I have installed there new signal booster which looks the same as the EE one.
But still the problem exists and as we are business users may have to now consider changing our mobile network as we had no problems when we was with 02 even Tesco gives a great reception.
0 Ratings
mailolaoyes
Beginner
Message 20 of 65

It's a pity that BT is not responding to comments on this thread. My wife and I are on BT and using the mobile phone has been a pain. No coverage inside the house and we missed vital calls all the time. It seems we're scammed by the 20GB Family Sim. The service have been **bleep**-poor and we can't wait to get of the contract.

0 Ratings