cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

My BT app billing info issue

I've installed Norton 360 secure VPN on my mobile and now when I try to access my BT app billing info it fails with a message that there is no connection (there is) or the app 'seems to be experiencing technical difficulties'.

If I switch off the VPN it all works OK, switch it back on and I get the failure messages again. Anyone else experiencing this or able to suggest a fix? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: My BT app billing info issue

@Her_Indoors 

If you install a secure app like the BT app, or a banking app, a unique physical device ID is generated so that when you connect to the server, it can identify the device as one which has been already authorised by the customer and host server.

This enables the customer or provider to delete the device from the list, should it be stolen.

By using a VPN, that device ID can no longer be directly read by the server, and  your connection will be treated an an unauthorised connection and will not be allowed access.

There is no "fix" for this, as its a security feature.

Secure apps will  be able to detect anything which is intercepting communications, like a VPN or other software, as this could indicate that the connection may have been compromised by a third party.

There is no real need to install a VPN on a mobile device, unless you plan to view insecure websites which need you to input personal info, which it is not advised to do anyway.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your reply.

All my other apps (including secure banking app) are working OK with the VPN on. It's only the My BT app that seems to be having problems.

I use the VPN to give me more protection when using public WiFi in places where I can't get a mobile signal. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Then I have no idea why it does not work, it must be something specific to the way the BT app communicates.

Perhaps the VPN address appears to BT, as not originating from the UK, as access to your BT account can only be made within the UK?

Many VPNs are located outside of the UK, and will not have an originating UK IP address.

If you visit a website like WhatIsMyIP, with the VPN switched on, you will probably find that the IP address shown is outside the UK.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for your reply. 

When using the VPN my IP address shows up as originating in the UK.

The Norton VPN software says its servers will show IP addresses originating in the UK for its UK based customers.

I think you are correct and the issue must be something specific to the My BT app.

I guess I will have to wait for a future app update to address this issue. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Her_Indoors, welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to see you're having issues using the app when your VPN is enabled, are you using an Andriod or Apple mobile phone?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I am using an Android phone (Samsung S10+) supplied by the BT Shop. 

0 Ratings