Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
andyhurley
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

MyBT shows my SIM needs activating

I have a slightly different kind of problem. I used to be with BT Broadband and have 2 mobiles on a family SIM.

Last year I migrated the broadband to PlusNet as BT refused to supply VDSL due to slow speeds. I am happy with the new broadband which has been much more reliable than the previous ADSL but I have an issue with the mobiles that I left on BT.

The MyBT page, under package -> included extras, shows broadband extras (0 of 2 active) which I suppose makes sense now the broadband is not active but under "your mobile extras" it does not list BT WiFi, just the 3 apps (My BT, BT Mobile, BT WiFi). When I try to connect to BT WiFi it shows a message that I need to be a BT Broadband or BT Mobile customer but I AM a BT Mobile customer.

There is also a message at the top of the page which says 'activate your SIM'. My SIMs have been active for several years and are working just fine. When I try to go to www.bt.com/go to try to re-activate I get an error message and can't proceed.

I tried talking to BT via the chat and was told I need to be a BT Broadband customer to get the free WiFi - this is not true according to the advertising or according to the error message I get.

I tried calling customer services and was told my proplem would be passed to the BT Mobile team but I have not heard from them.

I suspect the problem is that my records have somehow been corrupted by my moving broadband away whilst retaining mobile but no-one seems to want to help me put it right.

Any thoughts anyone? I'm on the verge of just moving both the SIMs over to EE as the only benefit of remaining with BT was the free WiFi hotspots.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
Message 2 of 6

Re: MyBT shows my SIM needs activating

@andyhurley Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
andyhurley
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Mods contacted. I'll await a response before marking an answer.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 6

Hi @andyhurley your BT Wi-Fi should be working now, could you test that and let me know if it's working for you? 

Thanks

Community ManagerStephanie
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thanks
0 Ratings
andyhurley
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Sorry for the delay coming back to you, I have been tied up most of the day.

I can see from MyBT that it should now be working. I have tried to test it but was unable to find a reliable hotspot today.  Just one question though, should I log in to BT WiFi with my account number GB.... or my email (BT ID)? The app seems to defaut to the account number but I get a message saying update login details (this is via the mobile app). If I try to use the BT ID (my email address) I get a message saying "checking internet connectivity - please wait" which never clears.

Either or both of these could be because I am not actually connected to a BT WiFi spot so I will try again when I next find one but I'm not sure when that will be.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @andyhurley Thanks for posting back to us.

You'll need to use your BT ID details. If you download the BT WiFi app it should remember your details so you don't have to manually input them every time you try to use BT Wi-Fi.

Let us know how you get on, @StephanieG will get back to you if you're having any trouble getting logged in.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings