Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Nokia 3 firmware update

I was wondering if there is any sign of the Nokia 3 handsets getting 8.0 and above firmware update, I did notice that the Nokia 3.1 has that firmware as out of the box. Just wanted to see if there has been ETA on the Nokia 3 getting that very same firmware.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Nokia 3 firmware update

This is a new one, not even anyone saying. Oh we are looking into this and will let you know if we have any further information. The silence is deafening.

0 Ratings
gworf74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Nokia 3 Still on Android 7.1.1

Hi, I got the Nokia 3.0 TA-1020 at the beginning of January 2018, since then the Android Operating System has updated numerous times, currently on 9 point something or other. My problem is, my phone is still on 7.1.1 and keeps saying there is no new updates available. I also heard that the Nokia 3 TA-1020 was dropped by Nokia because of certain issues and the Nokia 3.1 with newer firmware and updates was released to address those issues.

I wanted to know if BT Mobile  had any plans to allow the updates on the old Nokia 3 to go ahead or was I basically sold a package with what could possibly be an unsecure mobile device due to it not being able to receive the same updates as other Android devices?

One final thing before I forget (someones bound to ask this lol) 

The Security Patch Level is currently on 5 November 2018.

0 Ratings
gworf74
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Re: Nokia 3 Still on Android 7.1.1

Left it well over a week and still no reply

Yes I know I could run out, grab a Sim Card from *insert rival mobile network operator here* stick it in the phone and it will probably update itself to the latest Android OS. But shouldn't that be up to BT Mobile at the end of the day. We as customers don't know if there could be any issues with the update, and if we use a rival sim card and the phone bricks itself for any reason, would BT Mobile then turn round and say "Sorry Sir, you used a different network operators card in your phone and that invalidated the warranty"?

If they knew the phone was likely gonna be a dud literally days after we purchased it, couldn't they have sent an email or letter warning us that we could have issues upgrading it at some point? Maybe you know, giving us the option of returning said phone and replacing it with the Nokia 3.1 or a different mobile which was also in the same price range as the original.

Nope, they appeared to have just shut their eyes, ears and mouths, buried their heads in the sand and hoped it would just go away. Infact they are so embarrased about the whole thing that they don't even include the make and model number of the phone in the My Mobile account page. Sim, IMEI and PUK code numbers are all there but no make and model info for the Phone. 

I know I'm ranting, and it's basically just a wall of text to most of you Galaxy, Iphone, Pixel etc users, but the fact is, BT Mobile are providing us with a mobile service that (in my eyes) is below the level of what we should be getting.

If Fred Flintstone, Jo Blogs and Jane Doe are all using Iphones, Galaxy's and Google Pixels. And they are all on the same package as us, for example £17 per month, 3gb Data allowance with 3gb boost for being on BT Wifi Plus with unlimited calls and texts. Shouldn't we expect the same level of basic service they get?

And if BT Mobile can't provide that same level of basic service for us even though we're paying for it, shouldn't we be allowed the option to upgrade our phones to a make or model number which does support the updates and does keep us on par with other people who are on similar packages?

I'd be happy even if the option to upgrade meant agreeing to extend the contract for however many months.

Basically what I'm trying to say is... If it can or can't be fixed, PLEASE TELL US. Don't just bury your heads in the sand and hope that we go away, because we won't, we want this fixing just as much as someone who's on a different brand of mobile phone would. We are paying for the same level of service and would expect to be treat the same as others.

0 Ratings
Bloater
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

It seems that we are unlikely to get a meaningful response to these complaints because although BT own EE, who are the network providers, it is an EE team who control this and only they know the answer. So far as I have been able to ascertain, EE do not divulge any information about individual devices and their policy is stated here on an EE blog.

This is not remotely satisfactory for owners of Nokia phones (I have a Nokia 8 Sirocco stuck with a December security update though it is at least on Android 8.1). Other makes are probably affected. As you say,  BT Mobile users are able to download updates if they have a SIM card from another provider and do not seem to have problems then using the BT network. So we can infer that the delay is purely that the EE team have a backlog and have simply not got around to releasing the update, rather than there being an actual problem with it. That is a breach of trust with customers, who are exposed to security vulnerabilities as well as being denied improvements to Android.

BT does owe its customers a proper explanation and a remedy. At the moment, it does look as though Nokia phones are not fully supported by BT.

0 Ratings
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Now this update has been out for sometime, but still finding that the Nokia 3 is still stuck on 7.0

But seems that it is not just 8.0, but 8.1 is going to be out soon there, just want to know when be getting it.

https://www.xda-developers.com/nokia-3-android-8-1-oreo-update/

0 Ratings
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

See the thing with that is if I was to upgrade to the Nokia 3.1, I would go straight on to the 8.0 OS . So this draging our feet by BT and EE is not good for the users. It is like if we stay silent long enough the problem will go away.

Well sorry to let them know I am not going to go away until this is sorted out, also as you said I can swap out my sim if I wanted and get the update, but really why should I have to go to those lengths to get the update when BT and EE are falling down on custoner service in regards to updates that are out there for devices.

0 Ratings
Bloater
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

This is indeed outrageous. The point that BT Mobile are ignoring is that it is not just the Android version upgrade that users are being denied. It is the monthly security updates some of which are marked by Google as critical. What happens if users are seriously affected as a result? Will BT Mobile compensate customers? If not, how does the company intend to defend itself against the reputational damage?
And how can BT defend selling Nokia phones if they refuse to support them? Since BT offer no information to users who may be unaware of the dangers, it would be wrong for others of us to simply leave, since it lets them off the hook. We have a duty to protest and force escalation of something that is a simple management matter.
0 Ratings
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

My last security update was the 5th of November 2018, and still waiting on the OS update to come out on the BT network. Also still being under contract with BT having took a device that they have offered as part of the BT mobile contract moving from a sim only plan. You would expect that the device support would be there, but all we are hearing is a very stoney silence from BT with regrds to updates that are out in the wild for other providers.

What is so different with the carriers that the update is there for some, but not others.

0 Ratings
Highlinder
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Wanted to see if BT are still support users of the Nokia 3 devices that customers have taken out in contracts. Because this stoney silence is not giving myself good vibs. As have an upgrade available on my account and upon looking see now that the Nokia 3.1 is available with the updated OS of 8.0.

It has also been pointed out on another message in this thread that Nokia are having issues with the Nokia 3, but not even a peep from BT to let customers know of this. I am trying to see were I stand in regards to my contract with the devices on my account.

Found out a few issues with the devices in the 10 months into a 2 year contract with the phones.

1. Sometimes when you put the charing usb cable into the port of the device is will close it down totally.

2. Found out to my pain when taking a video that when I was able to review it, the video had no sound. Had do a search around the Internet, nothing on the offical Nokia site about how to fix this issue. But did sort it out with having to restart the phone, but the video still had no sound.

I am just trying to get answers to certain things like are we going to get any more security updates 5 months since the last update and no sign of the OS update either, my thinking of even taking another contracted phone with BT is not looking like it will happen if this is the level of support or lack there of it when you take contract out with BT mobile.

0 Ratings