cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Nuisance calls / texts to mobile - can this number be blocked by BT?

Someone passed my mobile number onto someone without my permission.  As a result I am getting numerous texts and voicemails from them that I am finding quite unsettling.  Short of changing my mobile number is there any ability to block their number like you can with a landlline?  

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Nuisance calls / texts to mobile - can this number be blocked by BT?

@joannasa 

Some mobile phones have the ability to block calls and texts from numbers that you put in a list of blocked numbers.

Later versions of the Android operating system have this feature, bu I am not sure about other phones.

Even my cheap (£50) Android 7.0 phone  has a CallFireWall feature which you can block both call and texts from unwanted numbers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thank you. Unfortunately my phone doesn't seem to have this. Maybe I'll need to buy a new phone.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@joannasa wrote:
Thank you. Unfortunately my phone doesn't seem to have this. Maybe I'll need to buy a new phone.

What type of phone do you have? If its an Android phone, then earlier versions of Android, did not have that feature.

Not sure about the very  expensive Apple iPhones. Smartphones are so easily damaged, that it does not make sense to spend a lot of money.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

From Android 8 or 9 (not sure which), you can look at your recent call log and place and hold your finger on a call, you will then see a pop-up menu with options including "Block/report spam" Google will then send any further calls from this number to your voicemail without ringing your phone.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

My phone is Android 7.0, and includes the call blocking feature.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 9

For older versions of android, e.g. Android 6, you can block the caller, but not the text to mobile, apparently.
So if you have a persistent nuisance caller you can only delete the text after you have received it.

There are apps you can install, but this can involve changing your mobile number to direct all calls to that number and blocking system. This seems to be a bit far fetched and over the top!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thank you.  Have just spoken to Samsung and they are going to remote into my phone on Monday to see if they can fix the issue.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Cheers @Keith_Beddoe , I didn't realise it went back that far.

0 Ratings