cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBoy
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Number port - text message mentions wrong number?!

I've just signed up to BT Mobile and received a new SIM with number 0748.... I've got a PAC from my old provider (O2) to transfer my old number 0773... to BT, and submitted this to BT.

I received a text message saying "we will move your number 0773... in 2 days". Great. Then yesterday I received a text "we've moved your mobile number 0748... to us".

So I am unclear what's going on. Both SIMs seem to still work as normal though I don't have a 2nd phone to make this easy! Today is the day I expected the port to happen; should I just leave it and see? It could be a bug that their text service simply showed the wrong number, or could they have bungled the port?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Number port - text message mentions wrong number?!

Hi MrBoy,

I'm sorry about any confusion caused. Did the number port work? Let me know if you need any help.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Nellycocker
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

I have an also identical problem

I upgrade to Infinity2 and also moved both mobile phones to BT from 02. Everything went fine, except for one one issue on the mobile phones.

I ported both numbers from 02, the same day as the new SIM was activated, received confirmation of the porting dates and finally confirmation that the port had happened, but even after 3 weeks, text messages that I send are received by contacts that know me, showing the issued BT numbers, rather than my old ported numbers, which are stored in their phones.

It appears that audio calls made from either phone on landlines enabled with CLI show the correct old 02 number (tried using our home phone which is a  BT8500 phone)

Both phones are Apple iPhone5s and are running latest software update.

I use iMessage to send txt, both over wifi and data service, to other iphone5/6 and Samsung phones.

Can someone help me to fix this issue please on this thread or post a new post if necessary

0 Ratings
Nellycocker
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Unusual to answer your own question I know, but got support from BT on the phone.  Here is the soution for anyone else who has this issue after porting numbers.:

This fix worked on an Apple iPhone 5s, ios 9.1

Go to Setting / Messages

on the iMessage button, turn it off and back on again.

For good measure then turn the iphone off, then back on again.

Go to Settings / Messages again

Scrolldown until you find "Send & Receive"

Click on this and it shoud show your ported number, rather than the number issued with the new BT SIM.

Finally whilst in this section the blue button called "add email" will require you to enter your icloud account details if you have one.  This will allow additional ways for you to be contacted to be added and also show the choices from which to start new conversations, which agin should include your ported number.

It solved the issue for me of people receiving iMessages from me after I switched from 02 to BT, which were tagged with the BT SIM number, rather than the 02 ported number and hence my messages not being recognised by them as coming from me.

Hope this hlps someone else

0 Ratings
czgp42
Message 5 of 5

Thanks and that was helpful as I aslo ported from O2 to BT and had similar issue.  However, I still had the same issue after following step2:

Go to Settings / Messages again

Scrolldown until you find "Send & Receive"

Click on this and it shoud show your ported number, rather than the number issued with the new BT SIM.

Since this still showed my new BT:

Go to Settings / Phone

Changed my new BT SIM number to my ported O2 number

Repeated the "Send & Receive" step above and now shows my O2 ported number rather than the new BT SIM.

0 Ratings