cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanBJ
Aspiring Contributor
5,685 Views
Message 1 of 9

Phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI vanished

Go to solution

Hi,

Overnight my phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI have vanished from the phone. Settings/About/Phone Identity shows these as Unknown or Unavailable. Consequently I've no BT Mobile access!!!

Its a HTC One X+ on Android 4.2.2, HTC Sense 5.0, Software 2.17.206.4, HTC SDK API 5.41

 

Any ideas please:

a) How I can restore them and fix the problem? (I know the IMEI and phone number of course.)

b) What might have caused this? (Could battery overheating do it? - Its been playing up recently and phone has been off and empty last 2 mornings, so had to recharge.)

 

Any ideas please, else it may be new phone time...

0 Ratings
Reply
8 REPLIES 8
IanBJ
Aspiring Contributor
5,661 Views
Message 2 of 9

Re: Phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI vanished

Go to solution

Hi folks. This is WIERD !!! At 18:40 my mobile suddenly started working again and I received texts etc. And the IMEI settings etc are back!!! I'd done nothing and it had been network dead all day up till then. 3 BT missed calls on my phone - but since phone down I'd not received them. Perhaps BT had done something or followed up my fault report after all ??? Most odd. But all back now I think.

 

Anyone got any thoughts on this??? Why it happened / how it got fixed / etc.

0 Ratings
Reply
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
5,658 Views
Message 3 of 9

Re: Phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI vanished

Go to solution

@IanBJ wrote:

Hi folks. This is WIERD !!! At 18:40 my mobile suddenly started working again and I received texts etc. And the IMEI settings etc are back!!! I'd done nothing and it had been network dead all day up till then. 3 BT missed calls on my phone - but since phone down I'd not received them. Perhaps BT had done something or followed up my fault report after all ??? Most odd. But all back now I think.

 

Anyone got any thoughts on this??? Why it happened / how it got fixed / etc.


I was watching your post.

I had an HTC Desire which failed on me after a charge (had to go to have car serviced, so fully charged battery first).

 

Pull out the SIM card, and clean it with a dry tissue - no oil from hands or fingers! Only do it lightly!

Push it back in carefully

0 Ratings
Reply
IanBJ
Aspiring Contributor
5,642 Views
Message 4 of 9

Re: Phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI vanished

Go to solution

Hi Ribblelancs.  I don't think the SIM card was the issue. I'd already removed/replaced it twice and rebooted.

 

However BT had a lot of issues yesterday - though they were n't for admitting it when I logged my mobile phone issue in the morning! I suspect my phone issue was somehow caused by that, though I'm concerned re how my phone lost/regained its identity...

0 Ratings
Reply
IanBJ
Aspiring Contributor
5,619 Views
Message 5 of 9

Re: Phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI vanished

Go to solution

Hi folks - I'm still having problems with the phone identity (IMEI, etc...) disappearing. It seems to come back for several hours then can suddenly disappear again. There might be some correlation with low battery and/or charging it, but I'm not certain. So far I've no real idea what's causing it nor how to make it reset. It just seems to reset itself after a while (though not yet today so far - I'm off-network again for now!!!) Urgh!!!   Might be "new phone time" I fear...?

 

Any ideas welcome please.

0 Ratings
Reply
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
5,613 Views
Message 6 of 9

Re: Phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI vanished

Go to solution

@IanBJ wrote:

Hi folks - I'm still having problems with the phone identity (IMEI, etc...) disappearing. It seems to come back for several hours then can suddenly disappear again. There might be some correlation with low battery and/or charging it, but I'm not certain. So far I've no real idea what's causing it nor how to make it reset. It just seems to reset itself after a while (though not yet today so far - I'm off-network again for now!!!) Urgh!!!   Might be "new phone time" I fear...?

 

Any ideas welcome please.


If you look in the instruction manual, there's a sort of soft reset you can do, which involves holding the power switch and the side button.

I'm still convinced that the sim card needs pulling out and pushing home really hard, once you've managed to get it in.

On the HTC Desire, you had to remove the battery first to obtain clear access to SIM and memory cards. Cards were in separate slots of course.

It Looks like the battery heat, when charging, is disturbing the contact seating, or even a circuit board connection by expansion.

After that it's a new phone.

0 Ratings
Reply
Highlighted
mcronline
Contributor
5,611 Views
Message 7 of 9

Re: Phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI vanished

Go to solution
I would certainly look at the handset rather than any sim shenanigans. Just to be certain can you not borrow/buy an unlocked handset and test to see if the problem manifests itself there.

Try cleaning the sim as it could be a contact issue.

You also state the phone has been playing up anyway so getting a new phone looks like its on the cards anyway.
0 Ratings
Reply
IanBJ
Aspiring Contributor
5,586 Views
Message 8 of 9

Re: Phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI vanished

Go to solution

Hi folks.  I've given up on old phone and got a new one!!! Just waiting for new SIM (nano) for it now.

The old phone just got more unreliable and the battery is clearly going - lasts less than 1 day now at low usage.

Still no idea what the real cause is/was. Sure its not a SIM issue though. Might be the battery voltage or that overheating has damaged something.

So - new phone is my solution.       Case closed.

0 Ratings
Reply
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
5,570 Views
Message 9 of 9

Re: Phone's IMEI, IMEI SV, Phone Number and IMSI vanished

Go to solution

@IanBJ wrote:

Hi folks.  I've given up on old phone and got a new one!!! Just waiting for new SIM (nano) for it now.

The old phone just got more unreliable and the battery is clearly going - lasts less than 1 day now at low usage.

Still no idea what the real cause is/was. Sure its not a SIM issue though. Might be the battery voltage or that overheating has damaged something.

So - new phone is my solution.       Case closed.


Once a phone battery reaches that state, you can throw it away. They generate a lot of heat, and can go unstable very suddenly.

Also there's no knowing what the heat has done to your phone's circuit components.

Wise move.

0 Ratings
Reply