cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hammoga
Message 1 of 12

Poor BT mobile signal at home

Indoors we have a 1 or no bar signal.

I moved from O2 as we have recently switched to BT broadband and adding BT mobile seemed a good deal. I had checked coverage via https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/mobile/4g-coverage-checker/ which shows as Very Good for 2, 3 and 4g at our postcode

I see now that Ofcom's independent mobile coverage checker https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage shows EE 2g as Amber triangle (= You may experience some problems) and 3g as Red cross (= You should not expect to receive a signal).

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gcotton
Message 2 of 12

Re: Poor BT mobile signal at home

I have the same problem. Just switched from O2 and now have the issue of no signal, though the BT coverage map said the signal was good in my area. Went onto the BT chat to question this, and all I got from the assistant was a verbatim copy of the text that's on the website. 

The mobile coverage map result is an estimate. It gives an idea of the coverage you can expect but the map cannot guarantee the availability of mobile services in any particular place. That’s because mobile reception can be affected by things like building materials, tree cover and weather conditions.

Weather conditions? Everyone has weather! and it's not going to permanently affect my signal. The coverage map is the only information we have to rely on before we choose to switch, so how can they just dismiss it?

When the advisor couldn't help, he just tried to cross-sell me broadband deals, ridiculous!

How can a company the size of BT not have an app or boost box that allows you to connect when in a weak/no signal area? A lot of other providers do. They should have just stuck to landlines, if they can't provide a decent service. It took a week to get our mobiles unlocked and switch over numbers, now I'm going to have to cancel and look for another provider. No wonder theiy flog their sims so cheap, you can't actually use your phone!!

0 Ratings
alexnoall
Message 3 of 12

I have the same issues - when I complained all I got was "we don't provide boosters, maybe something will improve" - and a heavy relince of the great cop out cluase of "its only a guide" - so much for the coverage checker showing as EXCELLENT - it clearly is not.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Hello,

Yes the coverage map is only a guide and can not be gauranteed, but I have found all coverage maps to be somewhat hit and miss.

In regards to the signal, EE are always updating mast you can always check your local mast by putting a post code in this link,

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/

Bt Mobile are currently looking at Wi-fi calling, which is is more reliable than a signal box as this can help you when your away from home unlike the booster than only helps if you have good bradband and within range of it. BT have run two limited trials of the signal booster. It may or maynot come back, I think you are more likely to see wifi and 4g calling appear before the box.

As and when wifi calling will arrive nobody knows, but as text has appeard on their website and app it shouldnt been too much longer at a guess. 

If you have just joined the network, you may wish to cancel whilst you can. This doesnt help your current situation and all networks need a better coverage map and poor reception back up but this is where it is at the moment.

PB54
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

We currently have two iPhones on EE. I’d really like to switch them to BT but the lack of WiFi calling means it’s a no go. 

We seem to be located between everyone’s coverage zones and coverage can vary from room to room. 

I really do not know why BT won’t introduce WiFi calling. It really is deal breaker for us and from the other threads I’ve read the same for many others. 

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

@PB54, whislt BT Mobile runs on the EE network its low prices means it comes with some restrictions. At the time BT Mobile launched Bt will have set up some type of service agreement which means things like visual voicemail and Wifi- calling were left out or not launched. 

BT is currently testing wifi and 4g calling but no date has been set for a launch, it could be guessed that the launch is soon based onthe fact wifi calling text is apperaring on their website and app. Whilst I like many suffer from poor reception this is the compremise of a lower cost and new start up mobile network. Bt Mobile have increased its service offerings from launch from a sim only to now offering handsets, extra 4G speeds

It will come, but its not clear when. 

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

To those with poor signal for phone calls when at home but can get 4G data try restricting phone to 3G for data. Did this on my Galaxy S5 and 'hey presto' had excellent 'voice' signal. Do not need 4G at home as use wifi. It is a pain switching between 3G and 4G when out and about but in all honesty for normal day to day web usage there seems little difference between the two. May be differnt for video but I never use phone for that.

0 Ratings
Penfold7
Message 8 of 12

Hi just joined BT mobile due to my lack of signal at work and now have a poor signal at home..The signal assist box is not available so what do I do now?
I think if BT cannot do anything I will be changing back ,I have nothing to lose as my old provider has reserved
a better deal than I was on to tempt me back.I have BT broadband and phone so would think they could do something.Even if planning some other solution why not give out a booster till its sorted...
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

Hi @Penfold7

The signal box was on trial and no longer being issued as Wi-fi and 4G calling will soon be released. No direct timeline has been given as to when it will be released but it’s currently in a trial phase.

Unfortunately if you have no signal at the moment it’s your choice if to wait till the launch of Wi-fi & 4G calling and moving back to your old provider.

Wi-fi calling will be available on select handsets (those that support it)

0 Ratings
Penfold7
Message 10 of 12

Thanks...not seen my handset listed but is a fairly recent model...LG G4...
0 Ratings