cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnno66
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Poor network coverage

I have just switched from GiffGaff (O2), and since then I have lost the signal whilst in my house, I had no problem previously, in fact my wife is still using GiffGaff and is happily using her phone as I did. How come, I thought that EE had great coverage?

On a seperate issue, since installing the BT sim, my contacts list has ballooned from about 15 to 500 and is increasing daily. Not new contacts, but copies of the existing contacts. I can't delete them, too many and anyway my phone won't let me. Has anybody come across this before?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Poor network coverage

giffgaff/O2 I think use 900/1800mhz and EE uses 800/1800mhz (1800mhz for 4g) did you not check coverage before you moved

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
johnno66
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

How would the average person know by looking at those figures what effect on network coverage would be. So what you are saying is that BT coverage is inferior to O2? There is no mention in BT's advertising that EE coverage might be less efficient.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

BT mobile coverage maps here.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/4g-coverage-checker/

Although they piggyback off the EE network, there may only be a limited number of slots reserved for BT Mobile on a particular cellsite.

Once those are used up, you will either get no coverage, or Emergency Calls Only.

0 Ratings
johnno66
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for that Keith, I'll check those web sites shortly. I wish I hadn't changed now. I thought it would be a simple matter of swopping sims. I'm now stuck with BT for twelve months!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

There is a 14 day cooling off period which you can cancel the service, and just pay for any usage up to that day.

0 Ratings
johnno66
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Cheers Keith, I'll look into this after I've exhausted every avenue.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
nesetceri
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

I have the same problem...and before I decided I checked the coverage and it said VERY GOOD for calls -texts. But it is almost zero . Funny thing I get 4G  data from the same spot. Burnham on Sea

0 Ratings
johnno66
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Hi Keith,

I did as you suggested and cancelled the sim. I then went back to giffgaff, and had connection immediately.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
nick_london
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Whenever you experience no coverage indoors. It can be worth contacting your network operator by letter with full details of the problems your experiencing.

It maybe there is a fault with your nearest mast or your network operator could make adjustments in your local area. If it's not reported, it won't be fixed!

Anyone experiencing poor coverage indoors or anyone who misses calls because of poor signal should try switching off 3G signal and use 2G signal for calls and texts and wifi for internet. I have noticed that 2G coverage regardless of what network you are on is way better than 3G and I no longer miss calls because of it.

In places where 4G is good, 3G can be rendered as obsolete for those with 4G phones. The mix of 2G and 4G provide better performance.