cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djp9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Poor signal

Recently moved to BT Mobile proved to be a bad decision. The signal strength is so poor at home that the only place I can get a half decent signal is leaning on the front door. It takes at least 20 seconds to connect and then the quality of the call is abysmal and frequently drops.

I have tried several times to get assistance but all I get is There must be a fault with your phone. Funny, it worked perfectly with Vodafone!

The map says signal strength inside and outside is good in my area, my experience proves otherwise. Fortunately going with a SIM only, I'm only throwing £5 a month down the toilet, stuck with this for two years!!!

Has anyone found a solution to a similar problem?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Fusionmoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Poor signal

You say that you recently joined - if you're within 14 days you can cancel without charges.
Coverage maps can only be used as a guide - nobody can say for sure that signal will be fine indoors simply due to the fact that every property is different, from walls to floors to your garden shed.

Does the signal work fine just outside your property? If so - there's nothing that can be done for you apart from getting a signal booster (BT do not supply or support but others have had success) .
0 Ratings
Highlighted
MisterA
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

I have the same problem. Literally no reception in the house and rarely any just outside either. Just now on the Chat Helpline an assistant said BT will soon be releasing a booster. Whether that's true or how soon 'soon' is remains to be seen...

0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

I was told a booster is going to be released. This was during my cooling off period threes months ago. Sorry but BT own EE and have done for the best part of the year. EE offered boosters now surpassed by WiFi calling. BT are dragging their heels over this issue. A poor show.
0 Ratings
Fusionmoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Yeah but Home Retail Group used to own Argos and Homebase , doesn't mean Homebase is going to start selling cheap jewellery just because Argos does?
0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Agree but BT should not give the information that a signal booster is just around the corner when it's obvious that the product, if it's real, is still not available. I regard that as mis-selling. I know you can do a service check but when you are informed of a product/service that will alleviate signal issues during your cooling off period- well that's not on. They are either guessing regarding the launch timeframe or being economical with the truth. 

0 Ratings
MisterA
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Indeed. It was when I said I was disappointed and considering cancelling that I was told the booster will soon be released and I'll be "sent a text message as soon as it is available". Sounded shifty to me. 

0 Ratings
djp9999
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I think I could get away with it as the mobile service BT are providing is not of merchantable quality. It beats me, as the biggest technology company in the UK they can't provide a basic reliable mobile service. They should have bought back O2 instead of going for the dead leg also rans of Orange and t-Mobile. 

It's highly unlikely that the Signal Box from EE will be made available as later phones have wi-fi calling enabled, with my lowly iPhone 5 I'm stuck with chasing the reception bars. Clinging to the drainpipe half way between the ground and first floor seems to be the best so far!

0 Ratings