cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AD2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Porting 07777 Numbers

Two years ago my Wife and I moved our mobile phones from BT......... VERY long story as my wife had an 07777 number which BT refused to port to my preferred mobile operator, (Virgin and she finished up with Orange but not with out a battle It had to be an Orange network operator because of reception issues where we live.

I would now like to move her from Orange to Virgin and I would like to know if there are still issues porting 07777 numbers to other operators

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Porting 07777 Numbers

This is really somethig you need to ask Orange and Virgin

0 Ratings
AD2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

No it's not. It is a BT problem/issue, they think they own the 07777 numbers or hopefully, they used to.

Two years ago, very few people knew about this problem and BT were keeping it very quiet as they were not supposed to block the porting of any numbers; only the back room porting people seemed to be willing to discuss it and I had to get help to get in contact with them, as they are kept incommunicado from the customers. I had obtained a PAC code without any comment from BT and when we tried to move to Virgin, the number was ported into cyber space for several days. My wife was not happy (understatement). We did eventually get it back but it was touch and go and eventually BT agreed to port it to Orange. It is not something I would want to go through again.

The reasons given were - BT excuse - Virgin did not have the technology to port 07777 numbers; Virgin explanation - BT would not give them an agreement to use the 07777 numbers. Believe who you like.

The nett result is I'm on Virgin and my wife is on Orange and the qustion is, do BT still think they own these numbers or have they at last agreed to allow porting to Virgin. And no, at the time we could not port to Vodaphone (on the BT aproved list) and then to Virgin as the number is tagged as owned by BT and when porting from anywhere to anywhere, the back room porting tecnicians have to refer it to BT for consent to port.

Still not happy with BT becuse of the stress this caused.

Kind regards AD2013

0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 9

If you ported the number to Orange BT has no input, control, influence, ownerheip or involvement in that number. They will not have access to any details of it, they will not be able to assist, pause, refuse or initiiate the porting of it.

0 Ratings
AD2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

After Virgin, we ported to Tesco as they were on Vodafone network and on the BT appoved list; unfortunately where we live there was very poor reception on the Vodafone network at that time. so we tried to port to Virgin from Tesco. Fortunately the Tesco porting technicians were on the ball with regard to 07777 numbers and stoped the porting before the number went off into cyber space again. After further angry e-mails and telephone calls to BT, they finally consented (and I think it was reluctantly) to porting the number to Orange who had good reception where we live.

As I said, it is not something I would want to go through again.

Regard AD2013

0 Ratings
liggerz87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

You'd have to speak to orange now
0 Ratings
AD2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

With respect ligger87 I don't think you understand the problem.

These 07777 numbers were "special" numbers to BT and they did not want to let them go. All numbers are tagged with whoever owned them originally and despite what Offcome had to say on the matter, two years ago when I tried to port this number, BT were only prepared to let them go Vodafone (or virtual networks using Vodafone) with whom they had an agreemnt to allow porting of these numbers. They did me a "favour" in allowing me to port this number to Orange at that time and it went a long way up in BT to get that. Offcom were not happy with BT at the time becuse of this, but seemed unable to make them do anyting about it, that may have changed in the intervening 2 years, I sincerely hope so.

So the question is do BT still control where these numbers can be ported to, or have they given up that battle? And that IS a question for BT, not Orange

Regards

0 Ratings
ruth554422
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Tesco mobile is not a virtual network of Vodafone. Tesco mobile is a virtual network of o2 and it's always been that way since they launched.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
liggerz87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Speak to both then
0 Ratings