cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
salesac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Re: Transfer sim from one BT account to another.

We would like transfer my wife's BT Mobile SIM from her own account to mine, where I have BT Plus and a Family SIM (my SIM only at present).  Her mobile contract expires in 2 days.

According to a promotional email received today (Subject: Doesn't the whole family deserve a great deal?), a second Family SIM with the Double Data boost from BT Plus would enable my wife to have a higher data allowance at a lower monthly cost (matching my mobile plan) than on her existing account.  So naturally this is what we would like to do.

When she logs into My BT, she has a choice of either her account or mine to view/manage, etc, so a link already appears to exist between the accounts.

However on calling BT, I was told the above 'transfer' isn't possible and my wife would have to have a brand new SIM with a new number.  That would of course be something of an inconvenience.  Surely her existing SIM can simply be re-allocated to my account, flagged as a Family SIM and set up with the matching plan to mine...?

Any assistance would be appreciated please.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Hi @salesac1 welcome to the forum and thanks for you post about moving another BT Mobile over to your Family Sim deal. Please check out How do I invite someone or accept an invite to join Family SIM? and you should be able to complete this process online.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
salesac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Hi John,

Many thanks for your reply and the link.  I've checked this out, but I'm falling at the first hurdle [i.e. How do I invite someone else to join my Family SIM? To invite someone to join your plan, just go to www.bt.com/mymobile > and click Manage your SIMs, then Invite], because unfortunately I can't find a 'Manage your SIMs' link anywhere.

I see Personalise SIMs and Add a Family SIM, both towards the top right of the screen, but neither take me anywhere useful.

The name of my Plan is BT Mobile 3GB plan with Family SIM(s).

Do you know where the 'Manage your SIMs' button should appear?

Thanks, Andrew

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

@salesac1 Are you sure that you're logged into the Primary BT ID for your mobile account? It needs to to have account holder status claimed to allow you to manage your sims.

You can check if the BT ID is registered as the account holder or account manager by following the steps in this link.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
salesac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Thanks - I've checked and I am the Account holder.  However, I don't see the Manage my SIMs option.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

@salesac1 sorry about that, if you get in touch with the BT Mobile chat helpdesk on this link they'll be able to take a look at this for you. Post back and let us know how you get on.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
salesac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Hi again Neil, 

I just had a very unsatisfactory chat with a BT Advisor calleed Romita. My enquiry was:

'I am trying to follow the instructions on the BT Help and support site under "How do I invite someone or accept an invite to join Family SIM?'. The instructions state 'To invite someone to join your plan, just go to www.bt.com/mymobile > and click Manage your SIMs, then Invite.' I log in as the Account holder but I don't have the Manage your SIMs' option. Where do I find this or is there another way to achieve my aim?"

She first advised me that my wife needs to log in and 'click Personalise my SIM when she activates. BT then email the person taking over and invite them to take control of that SIM'.

I replied asking if the first part of that is done witih my BT ID or my wife's.  Romita replied saying I would give control to my wife via my BT account and then she will accept it from her BT account.

I then advised her I don't see my wife's SIM when I go into my BT account.  Romita replied saying 'that SIM needs to be activated.  I first have to give control to her. Then only I will be able to see that'.

I replied asking if the activation is done from within my BT account or my wife's.  Because I don't see a way to activate her SIM  in my account.  I also asked if it would help to provide my wife's BT mobile number.

Romita then said 'That should be done via your account. I cannot do it from my end. It should be done via you. So to recap you contacted us to know about sending invitation to others. As a resolution I have helped you with the information. Is there anything more I can help you with?'

I was about to reply saying that this chat had not helped me so far, when Romita abruptly disconnected the chat.

If I had received the usual survey afterwards I would have expressed my feelings, but strangely that didn't appear.

Apart from trying another advisor, is there anything else you can suggest to help me with transferring my wife's SIM to my account?

As an aside, the Personalise SIM option appears to me to have no function apart from giving a SIM a name, and as for 'activation' I have no idea what that is at all or how it is done!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

@salesac1 I'm really sorry about that, I was expecting them to do the transfer for you. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team and we'll raise this with the Mobile team for you. 

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
JeffTG
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

I'll post this as opposed to a PM as it may well help others.

The "Invite" process is still available from MyBT but has been moved from its previous location.

To find the "Invite" links to bring another BT Mobile Sim into your account...........

• Login to MyBT
  • Hover over the MyBT menu - this will open the sub-menu
  • Select "Manage Your Package"
  • On the righthand side select "Manage Your Mobile Account"
  • Click on the "Summary - Account Summary" Tab - Top Left
  • Scroll down a little and you will see the "Invite a SIM to your plan" Link
  • Select the link
  • Select the righthand item "Invite another BT Mobile customer to your Family SIM plan"
  • Follow the on-screen prompts

A bit convoluted but hope it helps.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Ratings
salesac1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Many thanks indeed Jeff. I have been able to follow that process through in MyBT, but stopped before entering details of the other SIM, since I am awaiting the results of my PM to the mods.
Hopefully the BT live chat advisors will catch up soon with the change in the way these invitations are created!
0 Ratings