Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Westyfield2
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Roaming - EU Internet

I understand that the recent EU price reductions on roaming have been implemented.  That's great.  The costs are now as per http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones-tablets/data-roaming-explained-11363813491354

And with data now being charged at 4.3 pence per megabyte, the data roaming add-on bundles are now pointless as they'd be more expensive.

So on my iPhone I enable data roaming.

Having enabled data roaming, I now get an extra option appear.  It's called "EU Internet".

The description reads "Requires an EU Internet subscription.  Turning this on limits web browsing, email, and other services to an EU Internet subscription while roaming".

By default the "EU Internet" option is disabled.

Should this option be left disabled or should I enable it?

IMG_0031.PNG

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Roaming - EU Internet

I travel to EU quite a bit and I have this turned off. I am with Vodafone and they also advise to turn it off when travelling to EU. I'm not sure what function it serves though.

0 Ratings
Cepenpark
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

EU Internet allows you to use a local provider, which you pay for, to avoid high charges when you use normal roaming via your UK provider. This has been around for a year or so and was a way to stop high bills when returning from abroad. Now that roaming charges when in the EU have been limited it's rather redundant in my opinion, as are many current data add-ons, especially from BT.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Another take on this issue [and I know its not really an answer] is that I've always bought a local [eg Malta, Portugal etc] PAYG sim card and there has never been any 'grey' areas doing this.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Westyfield2
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

@Cepenpark: How is that meant to work? Can’t say I’ve ever heard of it before.

@AllanQuatermain: Indeed, that’s what I’ve often done. And conveniently Vodafone Malta had a concession at Luqa Airport so you could get the SIM straight away when you landed!

Cepenpark
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I've never used it and am not sure it was ever implemented. But the EU wanted the facility to use an Alternative Roaming Provider via Local Breakout where you would pay a local company for your use. I'm not sure if this has to be set up via your home provider. It's been overtaken by the new cap rates and next year full roaming at no extra charge. For now the EU Internet setting should be off so roaming via your home provider will work.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_International/Roaming_settings/Alternative_Roaming_Provid...

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Forum/What-is-an-EU-internet-subscription-and-how-do-I-get-o...

0 Ratings
rewsan
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Does anyone know if BT are planning to update the bundle deals? As at the moment if unsuspecting people buy one they are getting ripped off.

0 Ratings