cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astroman
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Roaming after leaving the EU

Assuming we leave the EU on 31st October 2019, what is going to happen with mobile roaming? Are BT keeping it as it is now, or will BT start charging again?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Roaming after leaving the EU

• If there's a Brexit deal, 'free' roaming should continue until 2020 at least. The Government's said the current roaming rules would continue during any transition period, which at the moment would be expected to last until the end of 2020.

• If there's no Brexit deal, roaming charges could return immediately. The Government's said EU mobile operators would be able to charge UK firms for providing services, and UK firms could pass these on to customers, which means surcharge-free roaming in the EU would no longer be guaranteed. Instead, roaming fees will likely be determined by individual firms.

BT Mobile said:

ProviderIs 'free' roaming guaranteed post-Brexit?What it says
BT MobileNo"Doesn't have any plans to change" cost of roaming, but adds: "We hope Brexit negotiations will help ensure that UK operators can continue to offer low prices." 

Source: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/02/mobile-firms-not-ruling-out-roaming-charges-after-bre...

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your query please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
astroman
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your answer, I had [word for word] the same response from BT on Twitter, so still no definitive answer despite the leaving date being less than 8 weeks from now.

I have "no plans" to go shopping today, but thats not to say I won't. 😉

albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Yes, this was the only thing I could find relating to BT Mobile.

Fingers crossed they can give us more definite answers soon and those high roaming fees don’t return.
--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your query please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

Any commercial organisation will say they have ‘no plans’ until they suddenly do.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

Once we're "free" of the EU, British companies will have a lot more scope to treat their customers and staff as they wish, which is usually badly. There are better things to worry about than tightening of roaming charges.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.