cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Roaming charges when in the Republic of Ireland

Go to solution

Hello Community,

I have an 8GB usage plan on BT Mobile, which is doubled because of Halo, so 16GB.

Can I use my data when travelling in the Rep of Ireland without incurring extra charges? I know I was able to do this in the past but not sure now.

Also, broadband backup has been activated which gives me unlimited data while BT sorts a broadband fault, when I check MyBT it states I have unlimited data while they fix my fault but only when I am in the UK.

So I assume I don't have unlimited data in Ireland but can I still use 16GB when travelling?

Any advice is greater appreciated, unfortunately BT's help site is an endless rabbit hole.

Cheers

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 5

Re: Roaming charges when in the Republic of Ireland

Go to solution

As long as your tariff includes roam like home you’ll be able to use all of your allowance abroad, if your tariff has a data allowance over 50GB you might incur a charge.

“You can use your data allowance in any Roam Like Home country. But if your plan gives you more than 50GB of data each month, a surcharge may be applied if you use more than 50GB in one billing cycle when roaming in our Roam Like Home countries. You can find out more about the surcharge in our tariff guide”

In theory your data allowance, while your package is boosted, is unlimited so the above would apply but I might give 150 a call to double check. The unlimited data is really there to replace your broadband while the fault is fixed but I doubt they have a way of separating out the new allowance from your actual tariff. If you can’t be bothered with the hassles of calling try not to go over your tariff allowance just in case.

BT Mobile Roaming

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @MonsterMash welcome back to the community and thanks for posting, you're correct you can use your normal data allowance of 16GB when in the Republic of Ireland as it is a Roam like home country. The unlimited broadband backup data for use during the fault will not carry over as that can only be used when you're in the UK.

No, Broadband Backup doesn’t work outside the UK. Data won't be free. Different countries charge differently for calls, texts and data. These are known as roaming charges. Check the costs of using BT Mobile abroad >

If any SIM user returns to the UK while we're working on your fault, they'll then be able to use Broadband Backup until the fault is fixed.

Thanks

Neil

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the confirmation @NeilO 

0 Ratings