Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Samsung Galaxy S8 WiFi Calling

Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 which has wifi calling switched on in  Phone Settings but it doesn't work (no wifi calling icon is displayed and I can't make calls when there is no connection to the BT mobile network but a perfectly good wifi connection exists). When I look at the phone details in MyMobile, the phone type is wrongly identified as a Samsung Galaxy J7 J700F Duos and the IMEI number is also wrong. It also reports that the phone is not compatible for 4G calling and wifi calling. 

I would've liked to resolve this issue with a live chat session but I can't find a link to live chat anywhere on the Contact Us page.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Gerry

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 WiFi Calling

you need to phone CS on 150 or 0800800150 from mobile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

I did that and the person I spoke to said it's not a supported device for wifi calling. However, if you read the sticky by Sean about compatible devices, it mentions the Samsung S8 having been reported as working with wifi calling.  Bizarre.

Regards, Gerry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 12

Hi @midsomerjambo 

If you read the sticky post again it says that for the majority of android phones listed, it's customers that have reported that wifi calling works on their phone, and more importantly it depends on what firmware the phone has. Did you get your S8 through BT or EE? If not, it doesn't have the correct firmware for wifi calling on the EE/BT network.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Hi Andy,

No, I didn't get it from BT or EE. I'm investigating flashing it with EE firmware to see if that gets it sorted but so far that's still in the research phase as I don't know where to source the firmware or how to install it. A little nervous too as it's my wife's phone so if I screw it up it could cost me dear. However, the network coverage where we live is abysmal so it might be worth it. It makes me laugh that all the major network providers show where we live as having excellent coverage. If only...

Regards, Gerry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 12

There's a lengthy thread here  that started around the time that wifi calling was launching on BT, the link will drop you in amongst posts where you should find the information you need. You might have to go back and forth a few pages but there's posts that discuss the firmware needed and where you can get it I think.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hi, I have a Samsung S8+ and initially I couldn’t get Wi-Fi calling to work with the BT APN (Access Point Name) settings but reading through the posts indicated by Andy005 I found the APN settings for EE. I changed my phones settings to the EE settings and voila all works; this was a couple of years ago. Given that BT is only a virtual provider using the EE network (even though BT now own EE) changing these settings did not affect my phones functionality in any way.  Seems silly that BT APN settings disallow Wi-Fi calling but EE’s support it (it’s the same network!!) and they will only support phones bought directly from them. The APN settings are found under Settings-Connections-Mobile Networks.  Good Luck.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Thanks for your replies chaps - I very much appreciate your taking the time. I tried changing the APN settings to EE but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. It might be worth mentioning that I bought the phone on eBay from a seller in Hong Kong, so there may be something related to that which is at the root of the problem. I've also noted that 4G Calling isn't working either and I imagine they're related. Other than that though, the phone works fine. Can anyone suggest what firmware I might need to flash it with or how to determine what the current firmware is? It's running Android 9, by the way.

Regards, Gerry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 12

Hi @midsomerjambo 

If you click on the link I posted above, firmware and where to get it is mentioned in that thread, you'll probably need to read through a few pages though. Alternatively, use your search engine and you might find that EVR is the firmware required and a site called sammobile is where you can get it.

Flashing a phone can be risky so I would suggest that you check what's needed yourself before starting.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Finally got to looking at what I might need to do to flash the phone to a UK CSC. The CSC is currently XAA which I gather is a US CSC and which is a bit annoying as you'd maybe have thought the supplier in Hong Kong would've flashed it with a UK CSC. The phone model number is SM-G950U which again is, I believe, a US model. When I looked at the Odin help page, I saw the following warning:

"If you have purchased the Samsung Device from the USA, then you can only flash or install the USA version Firmware, or else you will end up getting the bootloop on the device."

Other than the WiFi Calling issue, the phone seems to work OK in the UK, connecting to 3G and 4G without any obvious issues. However, that notwithstanding, would the general consensus be that I shouldn't try to flash it with the EVR firmware?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards, Gerry

0 Ratings