Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davepearce37a1
Beginner
Message 161 of 183

Re: Signal booster

Go to solution
Hi I don’t need to use it now BUT if that had of been my only option especially after spending over £300 for the set up I would of as this is my main buisness number which worked perfectly before changing hand sets.
Before I purchased it I done lots of research into solving the poor signal & constant dropped calls on google and at the time seemed to be the best option.
I definitely have not read anything about it being illegal.
If the mobile signal outside can be connected to and is free to use with the correct sim then pushing that free signal into my property should not be illegal.
Even though I’m not using it I still want to now find out the legalities involved as I was going to sell it on.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Deryman
Contributor
Message 162 of 183

Go to solution

Sellers are hardly going to draw attention to their product being illegal in some countries! You transmit in a regulated band (like mobile phone bands) and you are liable for legal action if caught.

0 Ratings
Dboyd
Beginner
Message 163 of 183

Go to solution

Is it a Cel-fi booster?

As far as I know, these come configured for one of the different UK networks and these models have been fully approved for use in the UK - unlike many others.

0 Ratings
Deryman
Contributor
Message 164 of 183

Go to solution

Cel-fi - interesting - didn't know approved products were around.....

0 Ratings
GrandadClive
Contributor
Message 165 of 183

Go to solution
Ive had and used a signal booster 3g 2100mhz works on all networks at the same time feeds into 1 room unless you use a splitter box. 5 conversations at once,
never had a problem.
As its not illegal to buy or sell them mine went on a well site and sold quickly!
0 Ratings
GrandadClive
Contributor
Message 166 of 183

Go to solution
Ha well known site!!
0 Ratings
davepearce37a1
Beginner
Message 167 of 183

Go to solution
Hello peter. I have a spare signal assist box which I never really used If it is of any use to you. I’m not sure whether BT will allow it as you have to let them know so it can be activated ???
Like you I am waiting patiently for Wi-Fi & 4G calling so that I stop getting dropped calls or very poor signal.
What I do to improve my signal is turn off mobile data and only have 3g not 4G once mobile data is turned of in settings my signal bars go from 0-1 to 3-4 bars but just use my home Wi-fi to browse or get emails etc.
I really hope you get your problem sorted out
0 Ratings
davepearce37a1
Beginner
Message 168 of 183

Go to solution
Hi Peter like you I also have similar problems and although I do have a signal assist box it is not a big help.
After many calls to BT even though always very helpful was unable to do much until Wi-Fi & 4G calling is rolled out.
What I have done which does increase my coverage considerably from 1 to 3 or even 4 bars is turn off mobile data in settings and keep Wi-Fi on for browsing and emails etc
Good luck
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 169 of 183

Go to solution
The signal assist boxes are assigned to the account and postcode. From experience unless the account address changes it’s hard to assign to anyone else.

However ensure you all have the latest firmware for your device as sims are getting updated for Wi-fi calling! (Handset permitting)
0 Ratings
Message 170 of 183

Go to solution
This information from Ofcom was corrected in April. Here’s the new link as the one provided saying that signal repeaters are illegal requires a password to view that document https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-regulations-to-allow-use-of-mobile...

TL;DR?
As of 12th of April 2018 Provider based Signalboosters like BT SignalAssist, Vodafone SureSignal etcetera are LEGAL. 3rd party ones as long as they are Ofcom spec are okay!
0 Ratings