Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newcas
Beginner
Message 51 of 183

Re: Signal booster

Go to solution

Hi, yes fobbed off here with a network reset. And a categorical denial that Signal assist was anything other than a pilot ! 

Is there any other route that could work?  I am working from home and my signal (inside the M25)  dies as get into the house  - 1 or 0 bar inside (ALL times of day) and 5 bars outside. 

So i looked on website today : Note last line.........

Learn about signal assist. 

Some people struggle to get a good network mobile signal at home - things like thick walls, basements and certain types of glass can reduce your signal.

BT Signal Assist uses your home broadband connection to give you better mobile reception around the house.

It plugs in to your BT Hub and creates a link to the BT Mobile network to give you 3G coverage inside your house with a maximum range of about 15 metres.

It's really simple to set up, and once it's up and running your phone will automatically connect to make sure you can make and receive calls. Services like text, MMS, Voicemail and call waiting will also work as normal.

BT Signal Assist can support up to four users at the same time.

Will using BT Signal Assist cost me any extra?

With BT Signal Assist calls and texts are charged at your usual BT Mobile plan rates.

Do I need a special phone to use it?

BT Signal Assist is a 3G/4G device, so 2G phones won't be compatible.

It's also not compatible with the Galaxy Core Prime and the Xcover 3.

Can anyone get BT Signal Assist?

We're only giving this out to certain customers who are having particular problems with their mobile coverage at home. So you won't be able to buy this separately.

0 Ratings
newcas
Beginner
Message 52 of 183

Go to solution

Hi Keith, thanks for your interest in this isuue.  I posted something similar on the forum but realised I had answered a comment from back in 2013 ! 

I have almost no signal inside the house and yet full coverage outside. There seems to be a complete denial about the issue as when I called I got told that a) there was no such thing,(online chat answer)  b) they were working on it, (second online chat) c) that it was just a trial, (from option team) and eventually d) I should consider another provider - and that from the mobile faults team !!!!

Yet this is still on BT website today: 

Some people struggle to get a good network mobile signal at home - things like thick walls, basements and certain types of glass can reduce your signal.

BT Signal Assist uses your home broadband connection to give you better mobile reception around the house.

It plugs in to your BT Hub and creates a link to the BT Mobile network to give you 3G coverage inside your house with a maximum range of about 15 metres.

It's really simple to set up, and once it's up and running your phone will automatically connect to make sure you can make and receive calls. Services like text, MMS, Voicemail and call waiting will also work as normal.

BT Signal Assist can support up to four users at the same time.

Will using BT Signal Assist cost me any extra?

With BT Signal Assist calls and texts are charged at your usual BT Mobile plan rates.

Do I need a special phone to use it?

BT Signal Assist is a 3G/4G device, so 2G phones won't be compatible.

It's also not compatible with the Galaxy Core Prime and the Xcover 3.

Can anyone get BT Signal Assist?

We're only giving this out to certain customers who are having particular problems with their mobile coverage at home. So you won't be able to buy this separately.

0 Ratings
Degzi2009
Beginner
Message 53 of 183

Go to solution
Apparently the bt assist was a trial thing they did and they are going to be releasing some kind of wifi calling in about Oct 2017.
At least that's what I was told today when I called.
0 Ratings
Archielad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 54 of 183

Go to solution
BT seem to be missing a trick here, feel even if they charged for boxes people would buy them. I just lucky and glad I phoned at right time as signal with box is excellent everywhere now in house an outside, I live in the Outer Hebrides. Think if I can get a signal then people in London should surely get signal
0 Ratings
Jonesy70
Message 55 of 183

Go to solution
I phoned BT last week they tell me that the signal booster was just a trial. My son struggles to get a signal at home with his bt mobile and I want to change mine to a bt sim only as it makes it easy having everything on one bill.

Without a booster I m not interested

Has anyone got a booster recently? The operator wasn't very helpful and he never heard of one
0 Ratings
Dboyd
Beginner
Message 56 of 183

Go to solution

Presently trying BT Mobile as a cheaper alternative to Vodafone, which only works in our location with their internet - linked Sure Signal box (which can be an absolute pig to set up but seems to work okay with current BT Home Hub). EE / BT mobile signal is weak to moderate outdoors here and weak / intermittent inside house. Was disappointed to learn that BT presently won't help with boosters, but managed to buy on EBay at moderate cost a secondhand Cel Fi RS booster that consists of a pickup / transmitter unit to place in house where there's best signal and a receiver unit that links wirelessly with the transmitter. These are network-specific: the one I bought said it was for EE. After a bit of experimentation with positioning, touch wood it now seems to be belting out a strong BT Mobile signal in the house, so problem I hope solved for now, although look forward to BT getting round to helping with their own device: poor service IMHO that they don't seem to want to help with this meanwhile. 

The disadvantage of the Cel Fi booster is I think that it can only relay and amplify any available signal so won't work if eg the signal available outside drops completely whereas devices such as the Sure Signal work via a connection to the internet so independently of local signal quality or even existence. Their disadvantage is that they usually require pre-registration of user phones / numbers whereas the CelFi is available to all comers on the particular network it's using.

0 Ratings
Jonny64
Aspiring Contributor
Message 57 of 183

Go to solution

EE singal booster work with BT Mobile but need register it with EE contract frst or EE pay as you go

0 Ratings
EdSutton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 58 of 183

Go to solution

Pretty annoying that I missed "Signal Assist" by a couple of months. People seemed pleased with it.

Am trying to get a redundant EE Signal Box going, that was previously registered. Fortuantely my wife is still with EE at the moment and using WiFi Calling. Suspect that the box needs re-activating, but they say not, "just leave it to cook as its not been on for a while". We'll see.

0 Ratings
Polboy77
Message 59 of 183

Go to solution

Since getting a BT sim only contract 4 weeks ago I couldn't get any type of signal at my home address. They sent me another sim to try but that didn't work either.

Today 22 Aug 2017 BT have said that a signal booster will be sent to my home within 3-5 days. Seems like they are stilll sending them out after all. Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
EdSutton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 60 of 183

Go to solution
Well that's annoying if true. I got the EE signal box going after hours of 'help' from EE. Once I move my wife over to BT I'll lose all prospect of help if it hours wrong. The EE box does seem to introduce a small delay so you tend to talk over people.
0 Ratings