cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Smart TV connection to 4g wifi Router

Go to solution

Hi, I have a Samsung Smart TV with a BT unlimited data sim and I have a problem connecting to the internet via router which I purchased from the BT shop ( TP-LINK 4G+ AC1200 Dual band Archer MR600)

It informs me that I am connected to the router but there is no internet access.I tried both wifi and wired connection but got the same message.  I have unplugged all devices, rebooted the router and checked for firmware updates (there is none) but still no joy. Both mobile phone connection and laptop connections work fine. Is there anything I can try to fix this or any further techy forums I could try?

Much obliged.

Jim

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Smart TV connection to 4g wifi Router

Go to solution

Check that your BT Mobile parental controls are disabled, as they may be blocking the connection.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Don’t know if this will help you but I fixed an issue similar to this by setting up a fixed ip and setting the dns to 8.8.8.8, there are various posts about Samsung TV’s and DNS issues on other sites. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Tried that but it's not that. Thanks for help.

Jim

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Hi is your router steady blue if not it's has no access is you leads I'm correctly as it needs to be wired into the box on the wall 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

@jim1611wrote:

Tried that but it's not that. Thanks for help.

Jim

Tried that or tried them? There's two suggestions immediately above your post! Have you tried both without success?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

@Petertinypop126wrote:

Hi is your router steady blue if not it's has no access is you leads I'm correctly as it needs to be wired into the box on the wall 

In the opening post, @jim1611 reports his mobile and laptop are connected so the router is OK. He is looking to connect his smart TV to the router (hub).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Hi,

Yes I have tried all the advice suggested with no success. The smart tv works with the BT smart Hub but when I switch over to the TP-link it does not get internet access (see my original post) Even a direct wired connection from the TV to the TP-link does not get me access. Spoke to Samsung support regarding this issue, and their view is it is a TP-Link router issue as it works with the BT smart Hub. I've now raised it with them. 

The TP-Link router is taking in the 4G signal and creating a network that offers me better speeds than through the BT smart Hub (my sim deal iswith BT, so I am still a loyal customer!!). The TP Link is reviewed favourably and the functionality seems pretty impressive. It's like a compatability issue between devices, possibly something needs to be set manually in a setting somewhere. This would be out of my knowledge scope.

Many thanks to all for support and contributions. Any further suggestions still appreciated. 

Jim

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

The Smart Hub  and the TP Link use different IP settings especially the default gateway, which is why you may be having issues.

You need to make sure that your smart TV gets its network settings automatically using DHCP.

When you change over from the smart hub to the TP link, you will need to restart the TV, or reset its network connection, so that it picks up the new settings.

The default gateway and DNS values for the home hub are both 192.168.1.254, but the TP link uses 192.168.1.1 for these. If your TV is still retaining the settings from the home hub connection, it will not work.

If you can manually set the network values on the TV, the you could try the following.

IP address 192.168.1.40

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS 192.168.1.1

Its best to use a wired connection. Most TVs have separate network settings, so make sure you alter the one for the wired connection, if that is the one you are using.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for advice. I tried the following steps but still no success.

Unplugged all devices.

Reset TP Link router and Network on TV.

Allowed the TV to automatically get settings but wired via LAN port on router to TV.

From your settings below, all were captured as said apart from IP address which was 192.168.1.102

Once again, said "connected to internet".  Error codes on prime and could not get onto BBC iplayer.

I then tried and set manually to configure with IP address to  192.168.1.40.

This time message read "not connected to internet"

Very strange. 

Jim

0 Ratings