cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DSP
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Spaces and Hyphens not accepted in surnames when personalising BT Mobile Sims

Hi all, this post is for BT, to highlight the poor programming of one of their online forms that prevents customers from entering the required details correctly.

Having recently swapped to BT Mobile and obtained 2 Sims, I went online and selected one sim for myself that automatically adds my details against the number.  As the second one was for my wife, I selected to personalise for someone else which requires you to add their details manually, which works fine until you get to the surname field. 

That field will only accept upper and lower case letters of the alphabet however, our surname 'St Pier' contains a space. Although not the correct spelling I tried adding a hyphen instead of the space and that was also rejected so had to add it without either.  Now spaces in surnames although not common are not that rare either and I know plenty of people who have hyphenated surnames.

Surely it's not beyond the abilities of a programmer to add these couple of characters to those allowed; other websites manage it with no problems.  After all you wouldn't want to upset the chairman of the board of directors of BT, would you? 

For those who don't already know the chairman is Mr Jan du Plessis (note the space between 'du' and 'Plessis').

Regards Dave 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
PaddyB
Message 2 of 3

Re: Spaces and Hyphens not accepted in surnames when personalising BT Mobile Sims

Hi @DSP,

Welcome to the community forum and thank you for your feedback. I've passed on your comments to the BT Mobile team.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
DSP
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Spaces and Hyphens not accepted in surnames when personalising BT Mobile Sims

Well thanks for passing my comments to the BT Mobile team but it's now 2 weeks later and it doesn't seem to have done any good. The surname web page field still doesn't allow anything but the 26 alphabet charecters, so people with a space or hyphen in their surname still can not enter them accurately. 

It's interesting to note though that the email address field does allow you to enter spaces in an email address (which are not allowed) without giving the same warning.  Extremely poor programming!

So would you like to pass it on to the BT Mobile team again and maybe get an update on what is being done to correct these programming errors.

0 Ratings