cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userdm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Spend cap of zero?

Is it possible to reduce one's monthly out-of-plan spend cap to zero, or is £5 definitely the minimum?

19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Spend cap of zero?

A minimum amount is needed so that BT can warn you, before you get cut off during a call.  £5 would give you about 14 minutes call time over your allowance, before you were disconnected.

xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Keith_Beddoe - I struggle to see this as a justification for having a minimum of £5. Surely BT could warn me when I am WITHIN my calling plan but nearing its limit, rather than waiting until I've exceeded it? Perhaps they could warn me at (say) 90% of inclusive call minutes and/or 90% of inclusive data. Then I could choose what I wanted to do, including taking action at that point to avoid additional charges if I so wanted, or setting a spend cap. The could also similarly warn me if I then spend 80% of my cap. A spend cap of zero protects those who definitiely do not want to spend more than their price plan. An enforced minimum £5 cap does not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

As I have nothing to do with BT, you would have to ask them.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

I have. They agreed that your statement of "...a minimum amount is needed so that BT can warn you..." was incorrect at the time and still is.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 20

Can't you just install the app and keep an eye on it?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

POTTYPERSON, I suspect USERDM is looking for a solution to prevent paying more than the price plan. Setting the monthly spend cap at zero would achieve this, if it were possible. Furthermore, usage would automatically be stopped when the cap is reached. A great solution if you have bought a phone for a teenager for example, and want to ensure that the price plan is the maximum you pay.

Installing the app is certainly a way to check ongoing usage - and take manual action if need be, such as not using the phone further. That said, it's a bit like waiting for an important parcel that's due to arrive in the next week, and checking the postbox every day only to find it's still not there. Consequently, much time is spent checking when it's actually more efficient to be notified when it has actually arrived.

The real issue here is that it's currently only possible to set the maximum monthly bill at price plan plus £5 when it should be possible to set it at price plan. BT say that spend caps give customers "complete control", but by imposing a minimum spend cap of £5 this is actually not the case.

0 Ratings
AndyCov
Message 8 of 20

As an existing broadband, tv and phone customer, I recently moved my wife's and sons mobile phones over to BT having asked if the data is capped, to which the reply was 'yes'.
My son went over limit and incurred ~£13 data charges before it cut out. (Random amount!?),so I complained because I expected a cap to operate.
They confirmed an overspend limit has to be applied,£5 is the minimum. I insisted that technically, they could cap it AT the data limit and incur no extra charges. They insisted it was not possible. They mean 'commercially they don't like that idea'. EE do it, as do O2.
No excuses BT!!

I've changed to a 20Gb plan from 2Gb, costing an extra £7. £5 only buys an extra 50Mb.
Unless BT change business practice, I will vote with my feet when my contract expires next year, and take broadband, TV, phone and mobiles elsewhere.
0 Ratings
GordonC
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

Unfortunately I didn't read this before moving my sons mobile to BT. We made the move, what now looks like a backward step, from EE which has a cap to BT who say it's impossible. Today we've  been told 5 different things by 5 different customer service reps regarding caps including that we COULD cap the data. Because we've learned not to believe what they tell us we kept phoning back to establish the truth - when are they going to train their staff correctly?  I agree it looks like a commercial decision not to allow a cap so BT can capture extra revenue from those who don't closely monitor their data. The same goes for the lack of WIFI calling.

We missed cancelling within our cooling off period by 2 days but like AndyCov will vote with our feet too if they don't get their act together.

0 Ratings
leemanmonkey
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

It’s a way for them to get extra money out of you, they claim it’s for emergency reasons but since when do you use data in an emergency and if you are at the end of your spending cap and need more data for an ‘emergency’ where does it end? O2 dont have to set stupid spending caps, it’s ridiculous and I am cancelling my entire families plans because of it.
0 Ratings