cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
clauzdifranco
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

Spending cap - mobile data - issues with misinformation and dealing with complaints

Can you please help me with similar situation?

I'm feeling let down and frustrated.

Rang customer services, no reply until yesterday when I was treated really aggressively by an obnoxious call handler who couldn't explain or solve anything properly to me, or progress my complaint.

This is what happened:

Christmas Day 2015 - give first mobile to my 11 year-old daughter, £5/month 500MB plan, the website says:

"Avoid nasty surprise bills as all BT Mobile plans come with a monthly spend cap"

I assumed it would stop any spend, including mobile data, if she used over 500MB. i.e. CAPPED at £5 for everything.

Great, I thought, BT are really god with their customers... yeah, right. read what happened next...

23/01 - message on MY mobile - you're nearly reaching your £40 cap - WHAT?!!!

24/01- as soon as read the message (which was day after it was sent) I logged onto MyBT and found out that the cap had been set by BT at £40! I set it down to £5 (sneakily, you cannot set it to zero – i.e. say ‘I don’t ant to allow any overspending’ – so the inimum cap is £5 – people complaining about it ere:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Mobile/BT-Mobile-Cap/td-p/1530206

27/01 - chat online to BT / ring to ask what is going on

Told by default al caps set at £40 - if you want lower have to log in and change.

I was never told this. Lead to assume the cap, as it says on website ("Avoid nasty surprise bills as all BT Mobile plans come with a monthly spend cap") was set at the monthly plan data/spend amount - i.e. £5, 500MB...

Customer care call handler told me it is all in the terms & conditions... in the small print... that hardly anyone manages to read in their entirety - THAT IS EXACTLY THE BEST PLACE TO PUT IT, ISN'T IT?! ESPECIALLY IF YOUR INTENTION, BT, IS FOR PEOPLE NOT TO READ IT, AND THEN GET CAUGHT UP IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS I FOUND MYSELF IN.

I was also told that there had been a technical error and my bill should have gone out on 17th January and it didn’t. The call handler said he’d raise a complaint to the technical team, who’d look into it and reply in 48h. I was told not to worry, al would be solved.

After 48h no call.

30/01. Finally after 3 days I received a call. A very bad call.

I was asked to explain again what I was complaining about. Told the story.

I was told I now owed £79!!! But the cap was set at £40, how could it go up even more?

So not only did I feel outraged by the sneaky default cap of £40, I w as also told now I owed £79!!!! How is this possible?! The call handler said it was my fault, I should have read the terms and conditions. I got upset, he said ‘OK we won’t call you again’. He knew nothing about the technical error with the bill. He was obnoxious, arrogant, aggressive. Made me feel REALLY REALLY FURSTRATED AND UPSET. NO WILLINGNESS OT TREAT ME WELL OR SOLVE MY PROBLEM – JUST PLAYING THE BLAME GAME.

31/01 – received email from BT to say my bill has been generated.

The one that should have come out on 17th January, came out now, where it states I owe £79 for data beyond the 500MB plan! WHAT?!!!!!!

How can I get a bill of £79 if the cap (the sneaky cap!) was set at £40?!

No mention of the error for not sending the bill on 17th January.

Probably the angry, aggressive customer service agent decided to send the bill now, as quickly as he could, so that is comes out of my account while nothing gets solved by BT customer care team.

WORDS CAN HARDLY EXPRESS HOW I’M FEELING.

I FEEL DUPED, FOOLED, ROBBED, ABUSED.

I HAVE TO PAY £79 FOR DATA I HAD NO IDEA COULD EVEN BE USED ABOVE WHAT I ALWAYS ASSUMED WAS A ‘CAPPED’ PLAN GREAT FOR KIDS.

WRONG, WRONG, AND WRONG AGAIN!

BT, AFTER YEARS OF BEING WITH YOU, I’M JUST WAITING FOR THE END OF MY CONTRACTS TO MOVE EVERYTHING OUT!

VERY BAD SERVICE.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Spending cap - mobile data - issues with misinformation and dealing with complaints

@clauzdifranco

Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to look into this for you. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings