Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShadyCreek
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 20

Re: Tethering

Go to solution

In the Scottish Borders this week.  Where I am staying (very rural) service is fine outdoors but 3G/4G quite variable indoors.  Placing the phone somewhere safe outside and using the Hotspot has been an absolute godsend as we've been able to use various devices in the house without too much effort.  

Couldn't be happier, and great to have use of the Hotspot facility on BT Mobile now. 

0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

I'm so glad it's working for you, but so far it'll tether for me but no data is being transferred, quite honestly BT get this fixed, bring us ALL up to date...a shambles.

0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

I'm so glad it's working for you, but so far it'll tether for me but no data is being transferred, quite honestly BT get this fixed for all.

0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Just been on BT technical chat then a phone call speaking to an great rep, seems as I can tether iPad to my android phone but with no data being transferred, that the issue could be with the originally issued sim, issued before tethering was supported, they are sending me a new SIM card  and hopefully once activated should work...fingers crossed...will update in a few days.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
mcronline
Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution
I got told that info is held in your profile and the sim accesses the profile. Hope it works for you.
0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

She certainly was at a loss, but suggested a new Sim might, just might sort it, all the diagnostic s said it was fine....worked ok with my previous provider Tesco,

0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

So my new SIM card arrived, I installed as instructed and Activated as instructed, within a short time I got a text to say I had to switch phone off and on to use mobile data. On the phone I can now make calls, browse the net, post on the net, download from the net, I can set my phone up as a WiFi hotspot and I can tether my Ipad, Laptop, Android Tablet to it all...WITH NO DATA BEING transferred. So onto BT Live Chat, usual story , do this , do that...eventually get to Ravi who says I wont be able to get data transferred until some big magical switch is switched on 3 October...how bad are BT?  If nothing happens on 3 October i somehow wont be surprised, but hopefully im proved wrong. Computer says NO!

0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Why does it not surprise me, 3 Oct and no big magical switch ever existed. One person on BT live chat tells me the SIM is at fault as it probably doesn't support , so a new SIM was sent out and it didn't work either...oh yes it tethers just like the first SIM ....but without transferring Data...so back onto BT Chat and they tell me tethering IS NOT a SIM issue, has NOTHING to do with the SIM, they tell me to take it to my local mobile shop ...so off I pop to the Carphone Warehouse where the guy says my phone is fine, it's a BT Network issue...back to square one.

only thing I can think of was my phone was previously locked on the Tesco network, once my contract expired they unlocked it for me so that I could buy into the BT Sim only deal, initially I was told it didn't support tethering but then got a text saying they did, so items that were greyed out were now active...but no DATA.

i now need to try my SIM card in an unlocked phone, but don't know anyone who has one.

Yip BT technical support is as useful as a chocolate teapot, an ashtray on a motorbike and a chocolate fire guard.

0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Well how amazing it that I managed to crack it.

I couldn't get a hold of an unlocked SIM free phone, so, my wife suggested I try her Tesco Sim in my phone to see if I could tether to that, that worked, so thought, well nothing wrong with my phone, BT wanting me to buy a new phone too.

Put my BT Sim back in to my phone and tethered my iPad, Laptop with no problem.

Putting that alien Tesco Sim in and then replacing my BT Sim must have reset something.

SORTED!!!!!

0 Ratings
keckers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

One other thing I did was to click on my BT Mobile App on my phone, as I hadn't done this since my new sim card, it went through a quick set up routine. 

So it could be one of three things....or a combination!

1. Popping the Tesco sim in and then replacing it with the BT sim

2. Accessing the BT Mobile App on my phone for the first time since the new sim was put in (BT made no mention of this and the App is a simple monitor of usage)

or

3. Someone working in the background resetting something

I'll never know but tethering now works!

0 Ratings