cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saltyzip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

URGENT: Google Text Message for 2 Factor Authentication not being delivered to BT Text

Go to solution

Hi,

My wife is away on holiday and her Android mobile phone has been stolen. She has Google 2FA enabled on her google account, which had been setup to send a code to either her mobile or home landline number.

As her mobile was stolen the only option was to request google send text message to the home phone number which is on a BT landline. 

These Google text messages are not being received, I can only assume they are being blocked by BT.

I also have the same landline number setup as a backup and they are not being recieved for me either. These were previously being received, as in order to add in the landline number as an option for receiving a Google 2FA code you need to complete the verification process (manually enter code received), which both my wife and I did.

Because of this terrible incident, I have no ability to lock or wipe my wifes phone, let alone try and track its location, I think she only pin protected it.

Can BT please resolve this ASAP, as I am currently having to wait 3-4 days for a BT mobile sim to be sent to me before I can gain access to her account to try a lock everything down.

Thanks

Stephen  Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: URGENT: Google Text Message for 2 Factor Authentication not being delivered to BT Text

Go to solution
This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read
0 Ratings
saltyzip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Re: URGENT: Google Text Message for 2 Factor Authentication not being delivered to BT Text

Go to solution
I'm reaching out for all the help I can get, and to make others aware of this issue in case it could affect them.

I spoke to BT support this evening and although after about 18 minutes and escalation to line manager I managed to get a ticket raised, I don't have much faith in a quick resolution, or even that they understood the problem. It took me 15 minutes to convince the guy on the phone BT Text hadn't been disbanded, and that service wasn't something built into my BT handset [sigh]

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Perhaps you have BT Call protect active, and the messages are going into your junk mail?

0 Ratings
saltyzip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
I don't think I have BT call protect activated, when I login to administer my account it says click to sign and activate that feature.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Is it not possible to login to her Gmail account via a web browser, and remove the phone from the device list?

If someone has accessed the account, then they could have disabled 2FA, and you should be able to login to webmail.

0 Ratings
saltyzip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

I can't login to anything google related without going through 2FA first, that's the whole point of it.

Unless the device I'm using is trusted by her google account or she is already logged into it, I have to go through 2FA. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

What about a recovery e-mail address, did you set one up?

I also thought there was an alternative method if you did not receive the code.

See https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/2402620?hl=en&visit_id=1-636388374335146094-41606...

Did you print out any backup codes?

If you haven't set up backup options, follow the Account recovery steps for help getting back in to your account.

0 Ratings
saltyzip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
My wife is a luddite she didn't print any backup codes and no recovery email address setup. If it's not mandatory to do something she won't do it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Did you follow the account recovery steps on the last lin I posted?

0 Ratings