Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
g-lou11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 33

Unable to send /receive WhatsApp images on cellular network

Go to solution
Since I’ve been with BT I’ve been unable to send or receive photos and videos on WhatsApp while using 4G. I have to wait until I am
able to connect to WiFi.

So far I have tried a new SIM card, reset network setting, had a new phone (due to another issue), restarted, checked in settings that Mobile Data is enabled, ensured that Wi-Fi and Celllular has been selected for all options in Media Auto-Download within settings in
WhatsApp. All to no avail.

BT say that I need to speak to WhatsApp and WhatsApp say that I need to speak to BT. Apple checked the settings on my phone and confirmed it should be working, but as it is a third party app, they can’t help.

It’s a really irritating problem, so I wondered if anybody on here may be able to suggest anything please!

Thank you
0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: Unable to send /receive WhatsApp images on cellular network

Go to solution

Hi @g-lou11 I'm sorry to see you're having problems using whats app on the BT Mobile network. I done quick google search of this problem and it shows this issue is happening users on different types of handsets and networks.

One of the common fixes was to manually enter the network APN settings on your handset. 

0 Ratings
g-lou11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution
Hi NeilO,

I have an iPhone SE and checked in settings and ‘Carrier’ says BT-C 34.0. ‘Version’ which is above says 12.1 (16B92).

I am so sorry - I have no idea what this means... are you able to glean any info as to what my problem might be from these figures?

The link you provided suggested that I might need to reset network settings, but I have done this several times since having my phone.

Many thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution

@g-lou11 they appear to be ok, unfortunately I have no other suggestions. Maybe one of the other community members has some suggestions to try as this does appear to be a What's app issue.

0 Ratings
g-lou11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution
Thank you for your thoughts, NeilO.

I have been in touch with WhatsApp who echoed what Apple said:

“If you are experiencing issues with mobile data connection but have no issues accessing WhatsApp via Wi-Fi connection, then the issue is likely caused by your mobile data service provider or mobile data setting. Likewise, if you are experiencing issues only on Wi-Fi connection but not on mobile data connection, then the issue is likely caused by your network's security setting or your Internet service provider.

Since WhatsApp and its features only work with one of your connections at a time (either Wi-Fi or mobile data), and you're experiencing this problem on one of these connections, then please contact your service provider or network admin for more information.”

Everything points to the issue being with BT, but BT haven’t been able to give me answers. It’s an irritating issue as everything was fine until I moved to BT (this is one of several issues I’ve had since switching providers...)

I will keep my fingers crossed that another community member might be able to suggest something.

Does anyone at BT read these forums, do you know?

Thank you.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

Hi @g-lou11,

I am sorry to see that you still can't download correctly on Whatsapp on 4G.

Can you go back to How to change APN settings on an Apple iPhone please?

In particular, I want you to carry out the following from that help article:

If the Carrier is not showing "BT 18.1":

1. Go to Settings
  2. Select General
  3. Select Reset
  4. Select Reset Network Settings

Once that's done, try it again and let me know how you get on please.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
g-lou11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution
Hi DanielS,

I have just tried that again and resetting the network settings still hasn’t done anything unfortunately 😞

I’ve looked online and wondered whether it’s something to do with APN settings? (not that I even know what APN settings are!!)

Thanks!
0 Ratings
g-lou11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution
Just done another search regarding APN (http://www.bt.com/help/mobile/index.html#/device?did=65529&dname=Apple%20iPhone%20SE) to find out how to manually amend APN data, but found that my phone does not seem to have the Mobile Data Network option, Son i cannot go into it to change it?

Not sure if it’s possible to link attachments on this discussion, as I’ve taken a screen shot to show what I’m looking at.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

Hi @g-lou11,

It's the APN part that I believe may be misconfigured.

Try this link from Apple: View and edit your APN settings

It should tell you where you can go to view the APN settings.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
g-lou11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution
Ah ha! Thank you DanielS- that was helpful. It says that if I don’t have the option to modify the APN settings (which I don’t as that is missing from the list of options on my iPhone compared to what I should be seeing as per the Apple guide) I need to contact my provider.

However, when I spoke to BT about this before and it was discovered that I couldn’t amend the APN settings due to the option simply not being available, the person I spoke to was at a complete loss and said to go back to Apple (and the cycle continued once again!!)

Do you know who I can speak to at BT who would know how to get this option available on my phone?

At least I now know it’s definitely BT’s responsibility.
0 Ratings