Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jonathanpc
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Using BT mobile abroad

Go to solution

I am not able to use my BT mobile phone in Bermuda for any calls made or received in excess of £50 per month (this was used up after 2 days). The problem is apparently something called an "unofficial reserve" of 75% of my monthly spend limit of £200 applied by Digicel (Bermuda) which is BT's "partner company" there. BT's system prevent me from choosing any other carrier in Bermuda (the "select carrier" option disappears from my menu while there) but when I was in an area with no Digicel coverage I was transferred to the alternative "First" carrier where there was no problem.

When I had used £50 of calls I was over my limit  – I was not allowed to increase my limit (£200 is the maximum); I was not allowed to pay off the £50 I had used (I had to wait for my next bill 3 weeks later). Two long phone calls (on someone else's phone) and 3 live-chat sessions all resulted in "I will reset this – switch your phone off and on again in 4 hours and it will be fine..." – it wasn't.  I switched it off and on, I switched mobile data on and off,  I took out the SIM card out and back in – still unable to make calls.  Finally I called again when I got home and a very helpful lady spent over half an hour trying to sort it out and eventually said "There is no solution, sorry".

So, if you need to use your UK mobile abroad, either don't choose BT or check that their "partner company" (which all the previous help people denied the existence of) does NOT apply the "unofficial reserve", or you will be completely stuck like me.

I need to work there again in April and I cannot afford to be un-contactable again – it caused me a lot of difficulties when I returned. If anybody from BT knows a solution to this please leave a comment here...

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Using BT mobile abroad

Go to solution

Hi @Jonathanpc

Sorry you've had this experience when using your BT Mobile in Bermuda. I've sent you a private message asking for some information so we can investigate this further for you.

You can access your private messages by clicking this link 

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Jonathanpc
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks Stuart, I have sent the details.

I hope you can help...

Best wishes,  Jonathan

0 Ratings
Jonathanpc
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Speaking with RobbieMac, the solution is:

1) they have reset my limit to £200 without any "reserve", and

2) that I can make an interim payment to the spendcap by phone (though not, at present, online). So if I get close to my limit (as checked on the "My BT mobile" app) I can restore some headroom as I go along and people can continue to phone me.

Brilliant !!!

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Jonathanpc

Thanks for taking the time to post the solution for the benefit of the Community.  Was a pleasure helping you out Smiley Happy

All the best,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings