cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Using a 4G hub on mobile deal

Hi. As part of my BT package, I get 4 mobile phone sims on reduced rates. I have a garden room some 30m from the house, in which I need to set up wifi, principally for a security camera. With it being too far away/expensive for any of the usual solutions - buried cable, outdoor wifi cable or point to point - I thought using a 4G hub might provide the answer. I already have one supplied by BT for an outage - could this be used on one of my mobile ‘slots’ included in my package?

Thanks

Marco

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Using a 4G hub on mobile deal

Hi @marco63, welcome back and thanks for posting. The 4G hub you have would only be activated during an outage so would not be a solution. If you want to have a look there are 4G Mini Hub Data Deals available.

cheers

John

Message 3 of 11

@marco63 

I don't see why you couldn't maybe buy yourself an unlocked 4G router at about £40 and use a BT mobile sim. I did something similar with a sim from 3.

Message 4 of 11

Thanks, that looks good. One thing is I can’t find any specs on the hub. If you click through for more technical details there are two lines: blah blah - N/A and blah blah - N/A Very helpful. 🤔🙄
Do you know where I can find out more?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@marco63 

Well a TP-Link TL-MR6400 doesn't look too bad & their devices are usually pretty good. Reviews overall are ok I think. The TP-Link website gives more detail.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Ah so thas what ‘tis

Ta

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

The 4G  mini hub is battery driven and I just want something to be sag in my garden room permanently switched on. Might I be better going for a 4g Hybrid Connect?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Ah, no, it’s not. But buying my own hub and taking one of my sim deals, can I buy data only?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@marco63 

Data only SIM?

Well it looks like they'll all give you minutes & texts.

Really comes down to how much data you want on a monthly basis & cost and to be fair there might be better deals elsewhere like with Three. You need to check what 4G reception is like for whoever you go with.

One thing to consider though is that you might need to set it up using a mobile and create an account from that mobile. That was my experience when I did this.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@marco63wrote:

Ah, no, it’s not. But buying my own hub and taking one of my sim deals, can I buy data only?

Yes, the data only sims are Here but the sim only deals that include unlimited minute/texts offer far more data for less money 🤔 they are listed Here 

0 Ratings