Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

VOIP at home, make AND receive?

Go to solution

Apologies if this is a bit of a naive question, my mobile signal at home is almost non existent except in one corner of one bedroom. I'd like to transfer to a BT phone on BT mobile so that I can at least make calls via VOIP on my BT broadband. My problem is the pesky Two-factor Authorisation messages that come via SMS and the receiving of voice calls on my Mobile phone, will/can either or both of these be improved by the VOIP option? Or is there some other option such as transferring Mobile calls TO my landline when I'm at home? Or am I stuck with paying for a 3rd party VOIP service with its own number?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: VOIP at home, make AND receive?

Go to solution

Hi @haitchjg 

As long as you buy the mobile from BT and it is compatible with wifi calling on their network, then you should have no problems with voice calls. I believe apple devices use wifi for messaging wherever possible, so SMS shouldn't be a problem.

I assume that if you check your property with the network coverage checker it says that you should receive adequate coverage, the reality being that you don't?

BT also offer a device called Signal Assist. It connects to your router and generates a 3G signal up to 15m. The advantage of this is that any phone on the BT/EE network can use it and it would help with SMS. Personally I've found it more reliable than wifi calling.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, Signal Assist sounds like the way to go...in the current environment where Tech Support are not taking calls(or asking us to limit calls to urgent calls only)any idea if there is a way of ordering Signal Assist online?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

It can only be ordered through BT I'm afraid, once installed it needs to be authenticated by BT as well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Using an iPhone Xr and with BT for Broadband but not Mobile. Wifi Assist seems to work fine. I'm not convinced that iPhones use Wifi whenever possible as mine just seems to kick in when the signal drops a bit but it certainly works OK.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the info, the implication of your reply is that the Signal Assist works for non-BT provided iPhones, when I spoke to BT yesterday they said you have to be a BT Mobile customer.....?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@haitchjgwrote:

Thanks for the info, the implication of your reply is that the Signal Assist works for non-BT provided iPhones, when I spoke to BT yesterday they said you have to be a BT Mobile customer.....?

Signal Assist generates a local 3G signal that can be used by any mobile on the EE/BT network, assuming they are in range of course. You need to be a BT mobile customer before even thinking about getting a Signal Assist unit.

Wifi calling will generally only work if the mobile is supplied by BT, this applies to android due to firmware variants. iPhones should work regardless of where you obtain it as far as I'm aware. Wifi calling allows you to make calls over your wifi, which I think is what you were asking about in your original post. 

They are two different systems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Understood, thanks.

0 Ratings