Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrhodge22
Beginner
Message 11 of 18

Re: Voicemail icon constantly showing!

Go to solution

Fusionmoth certainly knows what he's talking about so hopefully he'll be able to help you.
i rembember how painfully annoying this issue was for me so i can empathise, honestly!!!!
i inserted my sim in a mates phone and found that the voicemail icon still showed up on theirs!
whilst the sim was not present in my phone there was no issue. put the sim back in, a ***EDITED*** voicemail icon popped up! in my case, this made me realise the problem had to be with the sim and not with the phone like BT were trying to tell me!
this is the only light i can shed on this unfortunately and i apologise if it's useless information.
I hope you get some answers for the sake of your sanity!!!
With my experience in mind I'd just get them to send you a new sim. If it worked for me i can see no reason it wouldn't for you.

Good luck! 🍀

0 Ratings
Porterdavejp
Beginner
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution
I will do just that and let you know if it works for me. Thanks for such a prompt reply! Much appreciated.
0 Ratings
Fusionmoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution
I'm really surprised that neither o2 or BT claim to know what I'm talking about, but i guess it's down to who answers the phones and whether they a) know or b) care.
In fact i had to phone Vodafone for this today in work, and as usual no quibbles or questions asked - maybe it's because i just jump straight into it and tell them what i want doing and they don't question my knowledge and just do it?
The best way to describe this 'script' as i call it, is like the configuration messages your handset receives for the APN settings - they don't come brought as a text, it's sent through automated means and changes the settings in your handset.... This 'script' essentially does the same, it sends an instruction to the handset to remove the icon, yet unlike APN config messages, the phone does not display any indication it has received this trigger (you'd know it had by the icon going).

Next time I'm on the blower I'll ask the network what the technical term / common term it's known as and I'll share it here for future people.
Surprised a mod hasn't jumped in yet though and enlightened us lol
0 Ratings
Porterdavejp
Beginner
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks very much for that. This time they did say they understood what I meant and that they would get back to me in a few days! I think they are just fobbing me off. What would you say to BT (IN LAYMAN'S TERMS) and how long should it take? For some strange reason a replacement sim seems to work for many people with this problem although how this tells my phone to stop notifying me of a non-existent voicemail, I don't know. Many thanks for your knowledgeable input.
0 Ratings
Fusionmoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution
Yeah I'm a bit stumped as to the replacement SIM working - perhaps it's to do with the provision of 2 numbers against one sim and during the crossover the phone holds the memory of it - which if this is the case a network reset on the handset would resolve (but this will lose any saved wifi points)
When i speak to any carrier i ask them to send the config message for voicemail to the handset to remove the voicemail notification and they don't question it and do it.
When you ask them it's a matter of 5 minutes or so of them tapping buttons to find where they're going and within a matter of 10 minutes from them acknowledging what I'm asking it's done, really unsure what's happening here, perhaps it's the whole thing of BT bringing calls back to the UK they've simply got loads of new staff who don't know much other than the simple common stuff - activation, replacements and checking usage?
Odd why they've said a few days, have they passed it on for someone else to do or something? Did they say why a few days?

(Ps haven't needed to phone anyone today in work for this issue and I'm off until Monday so I'll let you know if i have to do any next week)
0 Ratings
Porterdavejp
Beginner
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

I am delighted to report that the replacement Sim has solved the errant Voicemail notification problem where all else failed! There is a God!

According to the forums, this seems to work every time so it should be written procedure.

Regards David Porter (porterdavejp) 

0 Ratings
Porterdavejp
Beginner
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution
It worked lo and behold!
0 Ratings
mrhodge22
Beginner
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution
Yes!!!!!! 😃 i am so glad it worked for you!
i had a feeling it would.
as you said, should be standard procedure really!

0 Ratings