cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Was 4G under EE - now dropped to 3G with BT

Just changed form EE to BT SIMM only and down at the livery yard where I spend alot of time my previous EE4G signal has dropped to 3G with BT?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Was 4G under EE - now dropped to 3G with BT

How do you know its 3G? Most of the time it doesn't display as 3G but as H or H+.

I had a similar issue where I could not use 4G/5G voice (VoLTE) and also couldn't use WiFi calling when I joined BT Mobile.

Updating my android phone to the latest software fixed this issue for me.

Your theory about BT Mobile not having the same 4G coverage as EE isn't entirely correct, virtual networks and pay as you go may get slower 4G but not no 4G at all in the same place.

Some settings either with your phone or with BT Mobile need checking or updating.

Go to your connections and go into Mobile network settings, is 4G/5G switched on? Or is 2G/3G or 3G only selected?

But do check if an update is due, do this when you have a charged battery and good WiFi connection .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@MNroshandel1wrote:

How do you know its 3G? Most of the time it doesn't display as 3G but as H or H+.

I had a similar issue where I could not use 4G/5G voice (VoLTE) and also couldn't use WiFi calling when I joined BT Mobile.

Updating my android phone to the latest software fixed this issue for me.

Your theory about BT Mobile not having the same 4G coverage as EE isn't entirely correct, virtual networks and pay as you go may get slower 4G but not no 4G at all in the same place.

The OP could be using an Apple device?

The way I read it, I'm not sure the OP was theorizing about main network vs MVNO...seemed to be noting an observation. Not sure if this goes on in the UK, but in some places, like North America main networks do have better coverage than MVNOs, because they extend their coverage on fringe coverage areas (usually non-urban) by sharing with other main networks; a benefit which MVNOs don't normally have access to. Maybe someone who knows more about this could comment, as I'm not sure if EE do this.

@gre1ddy as mentioned by @MNroshandel1, it would be worth having a quick check of your network settings, as I have also seen it before where I have inserted a new SIM into my phone and defaults to 4G being off.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Yes MVNO's do get less than the main networks but EE and BT are actually both owned by BT. As far as I know BT Mobile should be getting the same level as 4G/5G coverage although speed could be slower as because priority is given to EE pay monthly customers.

However, it was very noticeable that EE was throttling Virgin Mobile when they used EE because Virgin Media wasn't prepared to spend the extra money.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 8

There’s currently something strange going on with BT/EE network regarding 3G and 4G. 

it has been suggested on not her forum that it’s to do with a Nokia network hardware issue.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

My EE was randomly locked to 3G last Tuesday and wouldn’t go to 4G. Fortunately, a reboot of the phone sorted it out.

The issue could have been with my phone though, as opposed to EE.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Tried using BT Mobile last 2 days in Newcastle NE2 postcode and the checker shows excellent indoors and outdoors but its that bad I can make calls inside or use data. BT Mobile says nothing can be down so off to Vodaphone I think . 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Update your phones software, I did that and it sorted the issue out. Before the update, there was no 5G
0 Ratings