Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benbencitybitch
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

What happens when contract ends?

Hi all, 

Hopefully nice simple ones for you.

My phone contract is due to finish end of this month. Its £xx a month, so that will be covering handset cost and tariff.

1. Does the mobile service carry on if I make no change/advise I'll cancel?

2.How do I check what BT will charge me if I let it renew/I don't cancel. I can't find this info on my account. 

3. Where has BT live chat gone!?

Thanks

Ben 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: What happens when contract ends?

Hi @Benbencitybitch 

1. Yes it will just continue on a rolling 30 contract.

2. The price will remain the same subject to the annual increase if applicable.

BT normally contact customers up to 3 months before the end of their contract to encourage upgrades, haven't you been contacted?

I'd suggest calling the Mobile team rather than Live Chat.

0 Ratings
Benbencitybitch
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

I had a feeling itd be as awful as that - I'd be charged £40 amonth for just a tariff!? Jokers
Thanks I'll have to call to say not to renew.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Just call and order SIM only.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 5 of 10

@Benbencitybitchwrote:
Thanks I'll have to call to say not to renew.

Which won't change anything, you can downgrade to a new sim only plan on a new minimum term or if you do nothing pay the standard rates.
Some handset plans increase at the end of the term, special offers can include an extra discount, that discount stops being applied from month 25

0 Ratings
Benbencitybitch
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

I won't be staying with BT. 

I just wanted to know what they did at contract ending really. 

0 Ratings
Benbencitybitch
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

How would it not change anything? If I say don't renew then I won't be getting charged £40 a month, and I'll be with a different mobile provider?
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 8 of 10

@Benbencitybitchwrote:
How would it not change anything? If I say don't renew then I won't be getting charged £40 a month, and I'll be with a different mobile provider?

If you say don't renew, it doesn't mean anything, the service continues until you switch or cease to avoid paying, you can request a PAC or STAC code by sms now, you don't need to call unless you want to discuss loyalty offers on a new sim only contract or new handset plan if you want a new phone.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

Don't understand the moan & swipe calling BT jokers when what happens at the end of the contract is standard practice across mobile providers, all you have to do though is follow the advice given previously

0 Ratings
Benbencitybitch
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Because its horrendous that BT (and I'd say the same for any other mobile provider if I was finding out the same about them) would continue charging me the same cost of initial contract for handset and tariff, after completing a 2 year contract to which the handset is fully paid off - which is by far the bulk of the monthly payment.

I'm not complaining that I've got to upgrade/change my plan or cancel. My post was to ask, because I found no info in my account, how much the payment would be expected after the contract has finished.

Coincidentally (maybe?) BT emailed me yesterday with the "what happens after your contract ends" email 🤷🏼‍♂️ confirming it would be the same price if I didn't change my plan.

Thanks to the replies giving me the info on the costs expected.

0 Ratings