Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justdaj
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

WiFi Calling & Voice over LTE

Go to solution

Can someone explain why BT only support certain mobiles with Wifi Calling.  My device has it, but it's not on their approved list.  However, I was assured by a BT lady that it would work.  I've just signed up to a new SIM only contract with BT Mobile, however WiFi Calling and Voice over LTE, although enabled on my phone, will not activate.   The icons come on briefly on the status bar buteventually disappear.  My BT Mobile account online shows that my phone is not compatible.

Frustratingly I am porting my old number to BT on Tuesday, but I don't want to move if it will not support it.

Is there a work around to get it to work?

Thanks

PS my phone is an Android type, One Plus 5

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: WiFi Calling & Voice over LTE

Go to solution

Hi @justdaj

As you may know, BT has only just launched Wi-fi calling and currently only officially supports one android device the S9/S9+

BT like many other networks normally only support handsets they sell and ones that they can guarantee to work. As BT have posted others may work but it may need thenusers to change settings or reconfigure firmware, and they can not guarantee how the service will perform. 

If you have a look at the main Wi-fi calling thread others have got other handsets working by changing the APN setting to EE who host the BT network. 

But before you do anything it maybe worth checking that the SIM card has been enabled. Currently sims are updated in batches and it would be wise to check that your sim has migrated before changing settings. You can do so by contacting the mobile chat team. 

BT Mobile Chat

justdaj
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you.  I will check with BT first, then look at the EE APN settings if needed.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@justdaj

Great they can check the sim and then come back for help if you need it.  Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
justdaj
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I thought I'd come back and update.

After my number ported over I was delighted to see WiFi calling and Voice over LTE were working.

The BT app shows thir status as "No" but they definetly work.  Reading up on it further, the app only shows Yes if it is a supported mobile phone from BT.

So, I' pleased to say that the OnePlus 5 works with Wifi Calling.

Thanks for your advice @Dean007

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @justdaj

Great to hear you are up and running, hope you feel the benefits of both services. 

Feel free to mark this thread as solved if you are happy! 

😀

0 Ratings