Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iamdanwalls
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

WiFi Calling on iPhone 8 Plus

Go to solution

I've been using BT Mobile on my iPhone 8 Plus since the phone was released, and have had WiFi Calling working since it became available. 

Im now using a different SIM (still BT Mobile), and WiFi Calling just will not work.

I've taken the SIM out and put it in my work phone (an iPhone 4S), and sent a text, which brought all the details of the phone into the Phone and SIM section of My BT. Then I put the SIM back in my 8 Plus and sent a text, but it's still showing as a 4S in My BT and 'No' next to WiFi Calling and 4G Calling (which I assume is because the 4S is not compatible). Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try to get it working?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: WiFi Calling on iPhone 8 Plus

Go to solution

Hi @iamdanwalls

Thankfully issues with wifi calling on an iPhone are normally easy to resolve.

If you can toggle the wifi calling setting to off, restart the phone and ensure that you are connected to a wifi network that allows the service. Then enable wifi calling again instead of doing this in the phone settings, try activating it in settings area then select mobile data see if this makes a difference. 

If this doesnt work, have a chat with the mobile chat team and they can check if the updates required have been applied to the sim. 

BT Mobile Online Chat

0 Ratings
iamdanwalls
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks mate. Switching it off and on again didn’t work, so I’m attempting a live chat now. The SIM is relatively old (about 18 months) so it may need a update.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

@iamdanwalls

When the migration of sims took place for Wi-fi calling the sims should have had the two updates required. If Mobile chat are unable to help pop back and we can ask a mod to help. 

iamdanwalls
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

I spent about 45 minutes in a live chat last night, and was still no better off at the end. I've left it today to see if anything I had previously tried needed some time to work, but still no WiFi Calling.

I've just been on the phone to BT and the guy seemed to think it was my phone that was at fault. When he looked at my account, he could see that I was using an iPhone 8 Plus, but when I look, it stills shows a 4S! I have since tried a different SIM in my phone and WiFi Calling came on straight away, so it can't be my handset.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@iamdanwalls

Ok, you need to have a 5s and above to allow Wi-fi calling to work. As the system thinks is a 4s it may not have applied the updates correctly. 

We can do some basic housekeeping to get the correct phone showing.  

On your iPhone if you can turn off iMessage, and then turn off your phone for a few minutes. If you have an alternative handset place the sim in that (if it’s another iPhone turn off iMessage) and send a basic text. Then place the sim back in your 8plus send a basic text. Then re-enable iMessage, this should update the system within 24 hours. 

If you don’t have another handset, turn off Wi-fi calling and iMessage and then turn off your handset. After a few minutes turn the phone back on and send a basic message. Then switch iMessage back on. 

This should prompt the system to update your current device and resolve Wi-fi calling issues. 

If not pop back, it maybe a case of needing another replacement sim if that doesn’t work 

0 Ratings
iamdanwalls
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

That's pretty much what I've been doing in various guises since Saturday evening, but I've just tried it again with my daughter's iPhone 7, so we'll wait and see if the system recognises the 8 Plus. Incidentally, I'm not sure what's going on with My BT, because it's not showing me any usage for any of the plans on my account. There's just a yellow box with 'Your allowances are not available. Please try again later.' Everything seems OK with the app though. 

If it still doesn't work I'm going to have to get a replacement SIM, I think.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

@iamdanwalls

Let’s see if it updates overnight. If it doesn’t the mods or mobile team may have to order it if the order is stuck. The basic non iMessage normally triggers the network to see the handset sending and updates  

In the meantime, I asked the moderators to pop back and chat again. If you can check back in the morning. 

0 Ratings
iamdanwalls
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
OK will do. Thanks for your help.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @iamdanwalls

Did your device update in your account after swapping handsets and sending a text?

0 Ratings