cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

WiFi calling - poor call quality

Hi all, I have a BT mobile SIM on my own iPhoneX.  I also have Fibre with BT Halo 1 with extended-wifi. The problem I am having is as follows.  On the iPhone display, on the top left it shows BT WiFiCall BUT the call quality is appaling (almost like not having wifi calling).  I live in a poor EE reception area (Milton Keynes) and normally only get 1-2 bars.  My phone can be next to the extended WiFi disk (which has a blue light showing a strong signal to the main router) and STILL the call quality is appalling.  What I mean is that I have to go outside to take calls where there is a stronger GSM signal.

Any help would be most appreciated 🙂

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: WiFi calling - poor call quality

It sounds like the call is going over the mobile network. Have you checked that Wi-Fi calling is enabled on your phone

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

100% definately enabled. Under the option, it says "Make and receive calls over WiFi with your BT-C account" Out of interest, what is my BT-C account ?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

@FTTPwrote:
100% definately enabled. Under the option, it says "Make and receive calls over WiFi with your BT-C account" Out of interest, what is my BT-C account ?

I have no idea.

I'm not familiar with iPhones but on my Android there is a setting specifically for enabling/disabling Wi-Fi calling, I have mine set to Preferred

Edit:

Any Help?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203032

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 10

Is the WiFi calling symbol displaying on your iPhone?

On my iPhone 8, the mobile signal indoors is just of sufficient strength to use mobile calling, so it’s sometimes uncertain whether the WiFi calling will take over. Also, although your phone says that it’s Wi-fi calling compatible, there are some setting procedures. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Yes the WiFi calling symbol does show on the lockscreen.  In my BT, it still shows my old Iphone6s.  I have done the switch off imessage, send text, switch off, switch back on, send text, turn imessage back on so will see if this updates the model, and fix the poor calls issue at the same time !!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 10

A power down and restart fixes many problems.

If your are confident, there’s a shut down and keep all data option. But don’t do a factory reset unless you are an expert and have a full backup, preferably on a pc with iTunes.

Is your iOS  up to date?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Hi, yes IOS is up to date, version 13.5.1 installed.

I have powered down and restarted numerous times!  I'll see how it goes over the next few days, if it does not improve then I'll go down the factory reset option.  Hopefully I won't have to !

Thanks all

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 10

There’s an option to factory reset and keep all data.....but be careful. I’ve not tried it both others have had success.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I'm not intimately familiar with how BT Mobile is configured, but on the EE side of the fence, the order of preference for how calls are routed is..

4G > WiFi-calling > 3G > 2G. On older devices it was WiFi-calling > 4G > 3G > 2G, but devices have moved to "mobile-preferred" over the past couple of years.

In other words, if you have no 4G but WiFi, then your calls should go over WiFi (hardware compatibility dependent). If you have 4G, it should use that. And the voice codecs between VoWiFi & VoLTE are identical, there should be no perceivable difference between them - although those codecs are sometimes used on the 3G network, they're not on 2G.

Calls breaking up would be the symptom of poor or variable signal (on whatever radio bearer is being used) and no handover (to a better bearer) being available.

0 Ratings