Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 31

Re: WiFi calling switchover threshold?

@john9411

I disagree. I have just checked the pages, it clearly states you need to be in a 4G area, and the FAQ direct you to the help pages I linked to. Also in the My BT Mobile app and website , it also has a link to setup help pages. So Whilst I agree its not in bold text and as clear as it could be, its far from misleading! 

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 31

Whilst i dont think it is misleading information and in fact if everyone sat down and read and understood wifi calling capabilities there wouldnt be an issue, I still think the implementation isnt as it should be and agree that it could in fact generate complaints or at least give an impression of poor network reliability eg dropped calls when switching.

Just recently i was at home and been in a long queue to a company, then half way through the conversation my wifi  calling (my wifi is rock solid, i stream full HD 25gb movies across it without issue) drops from the phone and i switch to 3g (full bars) even though i normally get full 4g signal.  This isnt good and has happened twice, in fact i have now disabled wifi calling as I just dont see it fit for my use as generally the signal is good. 

If you have no or poor signal everywhere its a good thing but if you live in an area of generally good reception I personally would disable it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 31

My partner has just switched to an iPhone 8 but is on 3UK.   By the looks of it WiFi calling is implemented differently.  In the house 3-4 bars of 4g signal or full 5 bar 3g signal, WiFi calling doesnt enable itself unless the signal drops to 1 bar (in the garage), it will then disable WiFi calling when the mobile signal improves.  Also when connected to a captive wifi hotspot which i know is fairly poor on 3 WiFi calling wont enable itself if a decent mobile signal is also present. 

BT's WiFi calling enables itself on a whiff of WiFi, even on a network that has fluctuating upload speed of as low as 80-125Kbps which I imagine is fairly borderline of being able to support and maintain a high quality call WiFi call.

Do EE implement WiFi calling in the same way I wonder? 

As I said I have now turned it off.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 31

Hi @wenklaw

Yes EE's works in the same way. And I happy to say so far everyone seems happy with the quality of calls from BT's wifi calling.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 31

I do concede the issues I am having may be magnified due to me using my mobile for calls a great deal, usually I will be somewhere WiFi is available but of varying speed and reliability, which isn’t helping.  One site I visit is huge and has a MESH wifi set up but it also means that in some areas the WiFi is weak and not that fast.

I am not saying BT WiFi calling is bad, far from it, just not convinced that enabling by default is the best way, particularly after seeing how 3 appear to implement it.

Anyway it is what it is as they say.

0 Ratings
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 31

On my iPhone 8, running the iOS12 public beta, wifi calling is operating as expected. Where there is good cellular coverage, it's not active. Where there's no/poor cellular coverage but a good wifi connection "WiFiCall" appears.

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 31

And that is how WiFi calling should work IMO.  3UK implement it on an iPhone 8 running iOS 11 to switch to WiFi calling at 2 bars or less of mobile signal.  Signal then goes to 3 bars or more and eventually WiFi calling will deactivate. 

So is it an operator determined threshold or is it determined by the iOS, handest????

0 Ratings
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 31

And that's how it's implemented for me on BT Mobile.

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 19 of 31

Son had iphone 6 on 3 and wifi calling only enacted when poor mobile signal. I have inherited son's iphone 6 but am on BT and wifi calling permanently enacted when connected to a wifi network.  Latest ios 11 in both instances so maybe it is some weird combination of operater and ios!!!

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 31

And thats why i am thinking a combination of iOS, operator, maybe handset as you are on an iPhone 8, running the iOS12 public beta, i am on iOS 11 as is the poster above me.

If when iOS12 is released fully it solves the issue I will be a happy customer.

0 Ratings