cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 31

Re: WiFi calling switchover threshold?

BT Mobile's wifi calling will stay active when it is switched on and connected to wifi regardless of the network coverage, And uses wifi calling built in to the firmware of the device.

Three use Three In Touch which is App based on most devices which can detect what the signal is like and move between  wifi and mobile data. The problem with app based wifi calling means that as and when updates for devices roll out, or new devices are launched it could become more complext to maintain.  Also more chances of dropped calls if it kept hopping back and forth between wifi and 4G

As BT is an MVNO it has to use the tools and services given by its host network which have been tried and tested to work.

I am currently using iOS 12 beta 8 and it is working in the manner as it has from launch as you can see below wifi calling is still present on 3 out of 4 bars of 4G

IMG_2937.jpg

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 31

@Dean007wrote:

BT Mobile's wifi calling will stay active when it is switched on and connected to wifi regardless of the network coverage, And uses wifi calling built in to the firmware of the device.

Three use Three In Touch which is App based on most devices which can detect what the signal is like and move between  wifi and mobile data. The problem with app based wifi calling means that as and when updates for devices roll out, or new devices are launched it could become more complext to maintain.  Also more chances of dropped calls if it kept hopping back and forth between wifi and 4G

As BT is an MVNO it has to use the tools and services given by its host network which have been tried and tested to work.

I am currently using iOS 12 beta 8 and it is working in the manner as it has from launch as you can see below wifi calling is still present on 3 out of 4 bars of 4G

IMG_2937.jpg

No Dean007 that isnt the case, I am not talking about the 'three in touch app' I am talking about native WiFi calling on Three, I thought that was pretty clear if I am honest.  The in touch app is actually unavailable for many if not all handsets that have the ability to use native WiFi calling like many iphones and samsung mobiles (not all).

I could be wrong but my understanding, and I fully admit I am no guru is that a call only switches from WiFi to 4G, not the other way around, that’s my current experience. 

Just because  BT is an MVNO doesnt mean I cant question a services implementation, its a forum after all isnt it?

I started this thread as my current WiFi calling experience is far from ideal, wanted to know if maybe it was my mobile and what others experience is.  Interestlingly someone then posts that iOS 12 seems to be slightly different in how it handles WiFi calling then someone posts its the same for them, so its generating the sort of questions and answers I am after. 

3 implement it in a different way, one I personally think is better, do you not think so?

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 31

@wenklaw

Three do use native and three in touch depending on devices. BT wifi calling (supposedly) allows seemless swapping between 4G and wifi ( I've just tried it from wifi to 4G and stayed connected). I have said supposedly due to the fact you need to have 4G calling(VoLTE) to allow the seemless swapping and I'm not as confident in the coverage as BT/EE.

You can question the implementation, I was just stating how it is actually working. Being an MVNO does limit how apps and services are offered to BT customers so unfortunatly at the end of the day we get what we get. From the host network point of view they dictate what services can be delviered and how, and also from a shared mast point of view and the limited slots on a mast. Both the native and app based wifi calling have their good and bad points.

A services that will look constantly for the better connection (4G first), has the ability to drop more calls as it hops between 4G especially on a shared mast, and wifi than a system that stays connected to wifi first. But I appreciate not all wifi networks can handle this due to speed limitations, and not all wifi networks allow wifi calling. It seems that EE have gone for the more consistent and maybe eaisest one to implement.  iOS12 beta is handleing wifi calls on BT in the same way as it has previously. 

Ironically I raised the threshold question, it was one that I brought up on the original wifi calling thread and one that I asked the trial team when testing wifi calling as I also thought this is how it would work but we got a constant connection instead.

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 24 of 31

May not be correct forum but will ask anyway!

Some 'public' wifi networks will not allow wifi calling. If i have wifi calling enabled on BT what happens if I attempt to make a call whilst connected to one of these wifi networks.  Will call automatically go via normal mobile route even though this may only be a weak 3G  signal or will the fact that I have wifi calling enabled and the networkks blocks such calls mean my call will fail?

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 31

@john9411

A network that doesn’t support the protocols for Wi-fi calling just send a call normally if you have reception. Sainsbury’s for example don’t allow Wi-fi calls on their network, The Wi-fi calling indicator will be missing from your screen in these instances. 

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 31

@Dean007wrote:

@wenklaw

Ironically I raised the threshold question, it was one that I brought up on the original wifi calling thread and one that I asked the trial team when testing wifi calling as I also thought this is how it would work but we got a constant connection instead.

Unfortunately after seeing how WiFi calling works on my partners 3 iphone over the last week, I have decided to jump ship and join 3.  WiFi calling just isn’t working well for me, dropped, stuttering calls, i just can’t rely on it but at the same time would really benefit from being able to use it, hence why I am off to 3.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 31

@wenklaw

Sorry to hear your going but you have to go where the network gives you what your looking for. 

You know where we are if you ever want to come back to the dark side 😀

0 Ratings
Highlighted
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 31

To ressurect an old thread.  I ended up sticking with BT for a bit, maybe through lazyness.  Anyway BT WiFi calling appears to have changed, it now doesnt 'seem' to activate by default when my phone connects to WiFi, it now remains off if I have 3-5 bars.  

I will keep an eye on it as it may just be a glitch, hopefully it isnt though,

0 Ratings
WilfH
Contributor
Message 29 of 31

I’ve been using Wi-Fi calling for time time and the thing I do notice is that it is only enabled if the local WiFi signal is full strength. If for example O am at the opposite end of the house from the router and the signal drops to two tether than three bars the phone defaults back to the local 3G/4G service. I live in a bad service anyway and don’t usually move around much during calls so this isn’t an issue for me as such but my wife frequently is on a call when she walks to the car and as soon as she is out of range the call drops because we have no local 4G. As a result she doesn’t have it enabled on her phone. Have just acquired a BT signal assist box and waiting for it to register so hopefully that will solve her problem.
0 Ratings
Andyneouk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 31

i have a samsung galaxy s9+. i was on android oreo and wifi calling worked fine. i.e. when i was home on my wifi, wifi calling would be active and stay active till i left.

I have since upgraded to android pie on my s9+ and wifi calling works for a while then drops back to VoLTE. I i disable 4g (and force the phone to 3g only) wifi calling stay active all the time. I'm guessing some sort of wificalling / VoLTE threshold has changed. is anyone in the same boat?

0 Ratings