cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 31

WiFi calling switchover threshold?

I have an iPhone SE running iOS 11.3 with WiFi calling and 4G calling enabled and working, my question is this though.

From what I have read in the past about WiFi calling, phones have a threshold that they switch to it at.  So basically if i have 3,4,5 bars on 4G (and /or 3G) my phone shouldnt be showing 'BT WiFiCall' and calls/texts should route over the 4g/3g network not WiFi.  If the mobile signal drops to say 1 or 2 bars then WiFi calling should take over.

The above doesnt seem to be the case, my iPhone if connected to WiFi always shows BT WiFiCall even when i know 3g and 4g signal is 5 bars so there seems to be no threshold, put simply BT wifi calling offloads you on to WiFi as soon as it sees you are connected to a WiFi with internet connectivity.   A stroke of genius on BT/EE's part as it reduces load on their masts.

Basically I dont want my calls/texts routing over WiFi unless I have poor 3g/4g mobile signal, this is mainly due to WiFi connections particularly commercial captive hotspots being unreliable, i simply dont trust that a call/text will in fact find its way to me as reliably as it would over the mobile network.  Yes i can turn WiFi calling off and/or disconnect from WiFi hotspots but by design WiFi calling (as i understand) has a feature that only switches to it when it sees poor or a loss of mobile coverage, which makes sense.

Very pleased that 4G calling and WiFi calling have been introduced, good work BT but is the above everyone elses experience?

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 31

Re: WiFi calling switchover threshold?

@wenklaw

I have checked, and BT’s Wi-fi calling is constantly connected when it is enabled on the handset and on a Wi-fi network. 

This in theory will allow seemless switching from a 4g call to Wi-fi calling without dropping a call. 

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 31

Yes that may well be the theory but my phone stays connected to Wi-Fi calling even if only 3G is available which means the call will actually drop when out of Wi-Fi reach .

My point really is while Wi-Fi calling is a step in the right direction it’s implementation seems to favour Wi-Fi calling no matter what which is the part I have issues with.

For example, Wi-Fi calling in operation but no 4g signal only good 3G, move out of Wi-Fi range and the call will disconnect. IMO Wi-Fi calling in the above situation shouldn’t activate.

For me WiFi calling should be a backup when there is a poor mobile signal not as a default.

Anyway just my 2pence worth. Glad it’s been released as I said. Nothing more from me to say.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 31

@wenklaw

I understand your comments, I’m not sure why the way the host network and BT Mobile have chosen to use the service in that way. But it’s what we have to work with. 

0 Ratings
wenklaw
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 31

What i have also noticed is when BT WiFi calling is active, i have a rotating circle (a newer version icon of the old egg timer i suppose?) next to the wifi signal icon.  This suggests my phone is doing something in the background, or using more power than if it would just idle.

0 Ratings
Zombie
Expert
Message 6 of 31

Hi @wenklaw that rotating circle is that data is being passsed over the network either mobile or WiFi. If shouldn’t be doing that all the time. As it will be eating away at the battery. It’s unlikely that’s anything to do with BT WiFi my SE doesn’t do that. If you double click the home button and swipe away all the apps to close them is the circle still spinning? If it is you must have set up and app to allow fetching of data when connected to WiFi, probably a mail app you are using is checking constantly for new mail instead of a set interval. If that doesn’t help maybe try powering off and on again. 

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 31

@wenklaw

Wifi calling doesn’t use data like an app so it shouldn’t be causing any other icons to show.

But as BT Wi-fi calling is always connected even when not on a call, it will be using some battery. 

As mentioned in another post, power down the handset if the icon is still there after the restart disable Wi-fi calling and see if it goes away. 

0 Ratings
john9411
Contributor
Message 8 of 31

@Dean007

Has anyone confirmed that with wifi calling enabled calls will, in fact, seamlessly switch from 4g to wifi when 4g signal is lost and phone is connected to a wifi network. What if signal is only 3g? I suspect that a lot of people are not aware that, when available, phone will default to wifi calling if it is enabled and will the lose call if they go out of wifi range. BT should quite clearly state this on their web site. Not only good customer relations but also could forestall complaints about disconnecting calls. I  have not read anything about these shortcomings on the WiFi Calling Board so will post something now.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 31

Hi @john9411

You are right people may not be aware, but it does clearly state this on the Wifi calling setup and help pages..

See below, I have placed the link for anyone who needs to look how to use wifi calling and its limitations.

Hope this helps!

It states..

"What happens if I move out of range of my wi-fi?

If your phone supports 4G Calling, then it'll seamlessly hand over to 4G as you move out of wi-fi range and then hand back again when you come back into range.

If your phone doesn't support 4G Calling or you don't have 4G coverage, then your call will drop as you move out of wi-fi coverage. You'll need to make the call again once you have a mobile or wi-fi signal."

About Wi-Fi Calling from BT

john9411
Contributor
Message 10 of 31

@Dean007

Agreed this is covered on the 'Customer help' page but the 'Products and Services' page, which is the page that most customers tend to go to first makes no mention of it. In fact the bold headline says 'Never miss a moment with wifi calling'!  Stretching the truth at the very least and most definitely misleading.

0 Ratings