cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cirrus1992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

WiFi calling

I have a family SIM only plan with 4 SIMs, which combind with BT Plus gives us a good deal. My daughter has an iPhone 6 which has WiFi calling but two of us have Samsung S6s bought unlocked which dont. If I were to buy say Samsung S8 or 9s from the BT shop as outright purchases would they have the apprpriate firmware?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
VeteranISPUser
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: WiFi calling

@cirrus1992wrote:

I have a family SIM only plan with 4 SIMs, which combind with BT Plus gives us a good deal. My daughter has an iPhone 6 which has WiFi calling but two of us have Samsung S6s bought unlocked which dont. If I were to buy say Samsung S8 or 9s from the BT shop as outright purchases would they have the apprpriate firmware?

BT Phones with WiFi Calling https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/mobile/phones/?Features=Wi-Fi%20Calling

0 Ratings
cirrus1992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Yes, they are contracted phones not outright purchases. I spoke with the mobile sales dept who could not guarantee that phones bought unlocked via the BT shop carried the same firmware as the phone supplied contracted on a calling plan. That's what I'm trying to establish.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Hi @cirrus1992

The agent is correct, contract phones S9 and the 2018 A8 with stock firmware will work with Wi-fi calling. Sim free handsets with generic firmware are not gauranteed to work. 

However the latest android firmware and security update has started to allow more non stock handsets to work. You could purchase a sim free handset, ensure it has the latest updates and try it. If it’s doesnt you can always send it back. 

0 Ratings
cirrus1992
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi,
Yes that was my thought, it's whether it could be returned on that point that worries me.
Thanks.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@cirrus1992

As long as you return it as new within 14 days with its original packing it should be ok. 

0 Ratings